Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Rookie - 785 Points Lamont Palmer (9/27/2014 6:16:00 PM) Post reply | Read 7 replies
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

I hate to disappoint the atheists here, (and this needn't devolve into believers versus nonbelievers; as John said, it doesn't belong on the forum) but Christian poets have been some of the GREATEST poets ever to put pen to paper, and that includes the 20th century, not just in Milton's day. One's faith has nothing to do with one's sense of craft. I'm pretty stunned there is someone who doesn't know that. Just sticking with the modernists, Eliot and Auden were both men of faith and spoke about it fairly openly in their work. Poetry gets no greater than that. -LP

Replies for this message:

To read all of 7 replies click here
  • Freshman - 1,485 Points Mike Acker (9/27/2014 4:26:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

I just want to make sure I understand you fully, John. You are saying that a person who believes in christ, his crucifixion, his resurrection, his walking on water, healing the sick with hand motions(as they do in his name, on television) the new testament, the old testament, exorcism, priest pedophilia, etc. etc. can write worthwhile poetry. I just want to be clear about this.
    Just read the $%%##%% poem posted below me. All christ-followers, especially catholics, believe people have to be flying around somewhere after death.

• Freshman - 1,485 Points Mike Acker (9/27/2014 11:09:00 PM) Post reply

I was wondering how to best describe you and " flaky" keeps coming to mind...... Sherrie: " Sorry, Mike.....I was deleting all of my snarky comments...and I may have deleted some t ... more

• Freshman - 1,485 Points Laughing@ You (9/27/2014 5:52:00 PM) Post reply

A bad poet, a wanna be theologian, a psycho, I mean psychic, and clearly not an academic....all rolled into one heaping mess of insecurity. Poor Mikey/Mikealya.

• Gold Star - 14,908 Points John Westlake (9/27/2014 4:05:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Which religion a poet worships should not have a say in how their poetry is received.

• Gold Star - 14,908 Points Mike Acker (9/27/2014 4:16:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I just want to make sure I understand you fully. You are saying that a person who believes in christ, his crucifixion, his resurrection, his walking on water, healing the sick with hand motions(as the ... more

• Freshman - 1,485 Points Mike Acker (9/27/2014 3:52:00 PM) Post reply

Adam, the reason you are getting support from Big Bird and The Streaker is that they are both religious zealots. Unlike you and Peter Stavropolous, they lack the guts to state clearly and unequivocally that they are in fact believers in Jesus Christ, the " trinity" , and the " holy" bible. Your openness(and Peter's) about your beliefs says more about you than it does about what you believe in. My hat is off to both of you.

• Freshman - 1,485 Points Mike Acker (9/27/2014 3:12:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

The Bedouin Woman

The Bedouin woman seems old and tired.
    Her favorite son's star is tattooed
    inside her heart. Outside hangs that bloody
    cross. Every morning she places a golden
    dome upon her head, becoming a beacon
    for all those dead.

Her oldest has returned from a bitter
    exile and inhuman fate, displacing his
    brother from their Mother's side. She cried
    sanguine tears for many thousand years
    to have him back, but he is not of her,
    like before.

Her children play their cruel games
    at her ancient, brittle feet. All are hers
    from Fathers now buried deep. Her old hands,
    brown and warm, cannot comfort, anyone,
    anymore. She will live for ever.
    She is the mother of them all.

Mike Acker

• Freshman - 1,485 Points Mike Acker (9/27/2014 3:10:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

Sherrie, what happened to the poem you wrote to and about your mother. It suddenly disappeared from your blog site. I really miss that one. It was so heart wrenching and such a tear jerker..

• Freshman - 1,485 Points Mike Acker (9/27/2014 4:06:00 PM) Post reply

Ok, ok, ok.....Sherrie, please post the " running naked through a chocolate fondue" poem! Another great piece of poetry. I know the personas made fun of it, but I personally thought it rem ... more

• Freshman - 1,485 Points Mike Acker (9/27/2014 3:38:00 PM) Post reply

But you didn't answer the question! Always with the snarly comments! I miss that poem.

• Freshman - 1,485 Points Laughing@ You (9/27/2014 3:32:00 PM) Post reply

You hit my blog more than I do, Mike! Thanks for the hits.

• Gold Star - 13,819 Points Mohammad Skati (9/27/2014 2:26:00 PM) Post reply

That rock of suicide accepts those Whose lives are worthy to be lived... Firstly you have to knock at the rock's gate To be opened for you anytime... If someone comes to commit suicide from The top of that pretty rock, then There will be no admittance at all... Only good people must come and rest over there... Committing suicide does not help at all... Life is worthy to be lived with our loved ones... ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• Rookie - 247 Points Laughing@ You (9/27/2014 2:08:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Chocolate Jesus

by Tom Waits

Well I don't go to church on Sunday
    Don't get on my knees to pray
    Don't memorize the books of the Bible
    I got my own special way
    I know Jesus loves me
    Maybe just a little bit more
    I fall down on my knees every Sunday
    At Zerelda Lee's candy store

Well it's got to be a chocolate Jesus
    Make me feel good inside
    Got to be a chocolate Jesus
    Keep me satisfied

Well I don't want no Abba Zaba
    Don't want no Almond Joy
    There ain't nothing better
    Suitable for this boy
    Well it's the only thing
    That can pick me up
    Better than a cup of gold
    See only a chocolate Jesus
    Can satisfy my soul

When the weather gets rough
    And it's whiskey in the shade
    It's best to wrap your savior
    Up in cellophane
    He flows like the big muddy
    But that's ok
    Pour him over ice cream
    For a nice parfait

Good enough for me
    Good enough for me

Make me feel so good inside
    Keep me satisfied

• Rookie - 247 Points Laughing@ You (9/27/2014 2:13:00 PM) Post reply

Yes, it's a flippin' song...and it has nothing to do with the price of tea in China, but it does illustrate how diverse is the theist conversation regarding the mythologies and/or cosmologies in which ... more

• Rookie - 11 Points Tim Dolan (9/27/2014 10:03:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

I know what it took
    But I don’t know what is enough
    And if suddenly truth mattered
    Fold into whatever can offer meaning

This is a must of an identity?
    For it is there, and separate and perfect
    And in the distance
    Resume this cultural induction

I need nothing propped up by my page
    I believe in the manifesto
    Because you are here
    but not even you can reduce meaning

Random flaws and living scars
    Congratulations to my difference
    That now it must happen
    Because I hoped it

• Rookie - 324 Points Alice Vedral Rivera (9/27/2014 8:38:00 AM) Post reply

I posted another PH forum inspired social/political commentary poem written in 2006 and uploaded the audio file that goes with it, but so far the audio is not showing up.

FYI, I am grateful for the Poemhunter website. When PH started in 2003,3 of my poems were selected to be on the site. In 2005, a friend of mine from the Czech Republic let me know that my poems were on PH and I signed up as a member and started posting more of my poems. It was the PH forum that taught me not to take criticism so personally and helped me overcome my fear of sharing my poetic ‘babies’. The poets I have met and continue to meet on this site have left indelible marks on my writing by their example, encouragement, critiques, comments and forum discourses. I have to credit the PH forum for inspiring me to write a good many of my social/political commentary poems. Due to the exposure to different perspectives, I am more confident in my writing as it continues to evolve.

[Hata Bildir]