Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Gangadharan Nair Pulingat Veteran Poet - 3rd Stage (9/10/2014 10:40:00 AM) Post reply

There are folklore poems and poems which have no known poets that are familiar with the countrymen who were working for a living in paddy fields, plantations, gardens in earlier eras. These poems have not kept for future generations through printed books but they were transferred to generation to generations in verbal singing. In my own country and state Kerala in northern side there were hundreds of thousands of " Vadakkan Pattu" or Northern poetry in praise of militant and strong leaders or tribal chieftains at that time who got care and concern from the rulers or kings of the area. They were sometimes quarrelled each other in fulfilling basic norms of fighting. These incidents written into poems are wonderful poetry of those times the people particularly the working women enjoyed in the middle of their work in such adverse climates of torrential rain and flood but their courage and capability to recite and recite making into chorus sometimes which attracted the people of the time where TV or Radio were not available. I think that poetry coming in these occasions are really the great poetry of the time but unfortunately they lacked preserving and in the brink of loss forever.The working class poem they are and their literary value and fascination immense.

• Sherrie Kolb Cassel Rookie - 1st Stage (9/10/2014 10:06:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Good morning from sunny, scorching, drought-ridden southern California! Hope you're all well.

Little Song

By Rowan Ricardo Phillips

Both guitars run trebly. One noodles
    Over a groove. The other slushes chords.
    Then they switch. It’s quite an earnest affair.
    They close my eyes. I close their eyes. A horn
    Blares its inner air to brass. A girl shakes
    Her ass. Some dude does the same. The music’s
    Gone moot. Who doesn’t love it when the bass
    Doesn’t hide?When you can feel the trumpet peel
    Old oil and spit from deep down the empty
    Pit of a note or none or few?So don’t
    Give up on it yet: the scenario.
    You know that it’s just as tired of you
    As you are of it. Still, there’s much more to it
    Than that. It does not not get you quite wrong.

Source: Poetry (September 2014) .

Replies for this message:
    • Jefferson Carter Rookie - 1st Stage (9/10/2014 1:24:00 PM) Post reply

I don't know, sort of ok poem, but I hate this line: " Blares its inner air to brass." Something both trite and stiff about it.

• Mohammad Skati Bronze Star - 4th Stage (9/9/2014 3:01:00 PM) Post reply

Long time ago any poet or poetess was considered a real spokesman or a spokeswoman to his folk or to her folk. At all occasions poets were considered of great value in the victory of their nations or their tribes... Life has changed since then, but poets or poetesses are still of great value to their nations. Thanks.

• Gulsher John Rookie - 1st Stage (9/9/2014 10:40:00 AM) Post reply | Read 4 replies

If I had not existed, someone else would have written me, Hemingway, Dostoyevsky, all of us. Proof of that is that there are about three candidates for the authorship of Shakespeare’s plays. But what is important is Hamlet and A Midsummer Night’s Dream, not who wrote them, but that somebody did. The artist is of no importance. Only what he creates is important, since there is nothing new to be said. Shakespeare, Balzac, Homer have all written about the same things, and if they had lived one thousand or two thousand years longer, the publishers wouldn’t have needed anyone since.

William Faulkner, the purpose of Art.

• Jim Hogg Rookie - 1st Stage (9/10/2014 3:27:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

I don't know if it's small minded or not Lamont but I certainly think it's brutal. I rattle on at times about free will but can never reach a conclusion because I really can't get any traction either ... more

• Lamont Palmer Rookie - 1st Stage (9/9/2014 4:12:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

I see Faulker's point and its a fiercely objective one that takes the personality of the artist out of the art. Eliot had a similar view. Ironically both of those gentlemen had pretty sizable egos, so ... more

• metamorphhh (aka jim crawford) Rookie - 1st Stage (9/9/2014 3:09:00 PM) Post reply

Hi, GJ. I'm not sure what the term 'important' means regarding artistic expression. I mean, " I love you" has been said countless times, yet each utterance has the capacity to be very import ... more

• Jim Hogg Rookie - 1st Stage (9/9/2014 11:30:00 AM) Post reply | Read 4 replies

Some general rabbitting about to get und ... more

• Gangadharan Nair Pulingat Veteran Poet - 3rd Stage (9/9/2014 10:32:00 AM) Post reply

History of great poets and poems and their countries are important to study. A poetic talent is nurtured and the influence of family, living conditions and country's set up of the times are sometimes influenced the poets and poet is the product of society though talent is one thing to reckon. So historical background of the great creative poets is advisable to study.

• Gangadharan Nair Pulingat Veteran Poet - 3rd Stage (9/9/2014 4:43:00 AM) Post reply

Getting such an opportunity to read poems in these columns I have gone through the list of poems of great poet Wilfred Owen and out of the list the following poems felt me so interesting. 1.The last laugh 2.Beauty 3.Disabled 4.A new heaven 5.Asleep These poems are almost pertains to the hardships of soldiers and some of the final moments in a war and final journey is narrated in such accuracy making us feel. I liked the poems of Wilfred Owen the great poet.

• Pranab K Chakraborty Freshman - 2nd Stage (9/9/2014 1:36:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

We all talking about a Magic Lantern when and how light would make us shown, not know yet. We all try to hold the tail of that story, which has not yet been told. Poetry is the subject and trying to catch its reign to move it obedient to my wish and want to win over the last horizon where none reached ever yet. And all we try unveil the beauty by our intelligence as far as it can. Yet " Poetry" flows with its own silent motion fabricated with non-kicking intention.

• Gangadharan Nair Pulingat Veteran Poet - 3rd Stage (9/9/2014 12:14:00 AM) Post reply

Reading, reciting, and understanding the poems of great poets are very much useful to maintain the human relationship. Poems and poetry have no regional barriers, and in fact it is a world property to be entertained by the people. Great poems always inspires the human being.

• Jefferson Carter Rookie - 1st Stage (9/8/2014 11:15:00 AM) Post reply

Mohammad and Pranab, I have NO idea what you're talking about! ! !

• Mohammad Skati Bronze Star - 4th Stage (9/8/2014 9:29:00 AM) Post reply

Without coming by other poets and their poetry, then there will not be any good chance to get to a situation you can start writing good poetry. I love that book called " The Penguin Book of English Verse " that contains poetry of very well-known English poets...The classical poets and other poets.

[Hata Bildir]