Post more comments
Want a gift card for being active Forum member? Post comments and win $25 gift card every week.
Rules:
PoemHunter.com will be giving away Amazon.com gift cards (worth $75 in total) every week to first three members ($25 each) who participate most in our forum discussions. You just have to post comments on forum pages, poet pages or poem pages anywhere inside PoemHunter.com
Comments posted needs to be in different pages. Posting more than 1 comment on the same page will only be counted once.
Members can not post comments without being logged in.
PoemHunter.com has the right to cancel or edit this contest.
PoemHunter.com has a right to disqualify or ban member(s) without providing any type of reason, belief or proof in regards to any type of illegal activity or fraud.

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Professor Plum (6/18/2014 1:01:00 PM) Post reply

it screamed through trees
    while they giggled and
    gulped beer eager for the
    wreck of 1891

shadows spit gobbets
    of black diesel fuel and
    an engine head light bright
    sparked the forest floor

wires were at right angles
    with humid leaves wambling
    and rocks crunching under
    foot on a phantom trestle

he saw it far too late
    the roaring specter (scrambling)
    breath coming quickly and
    that final panicked notion

pushing her off and then heeding
    the sound of bones beside
    the wires still at right angles
    it all finished and everything quit

• Jefferson Carter (6/18/2014 10:24:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

To Bosa, Debra, and Tony: stop writing and start reading! ! Maybe some day in the future, you'll write better poetry, but NOT until you respect poetry as an art form, a learnable subject, something much, much more than expressing the gooiness of your precious heart and soul.

Replies for this message:
    • Frank James Ryan Jr...fjr (6/19/2014 1:19:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

OORAH Dr. J...." But will they heed and read or trite write by night on site" ?Hmmm...What a magnificent paradigm for a tale of trite... Anyway, hows trix, J.C.~FjR~!

• Jefferson Carter (6/18/2014 10:20:00 AM) Post reply

Alexander, if I didn't suspect your are Lamont, your comments (below) about me would please me. Yeah, Linda Gregg is really good, especially her poems in an early book, " Too Bright to See." She influenced and was influenced by the great Jack Gilbert.

• Jefferson Carter (6/18/2014 10:19:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Debra, really, I'm not being dismissive or nasty, but you need to STOP writing for a while and start READING lots and lots of good contemporary poets. They'll inspire you and, more importantly, guide you to a better understanding of image, figures of speech, line breaks and stanzas, vivid diction, all the things you know little about or at least your poems don't seem familiar with. This JFK poem is both trite and uninteresting. I know other PHers will say keep writing, keep writing, as if doing the same thing over and over will miraculously improve your poetry; it won't. If anything, it will just confirm you in your bad habits and resistance to opening yourself to needed influences.

• Debra Robinson (6/18/2014 8:18:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

I certainly respect all that you have accomplished and appreciate recommendations you make in ways to improve, but you need to keep in mind some of this stuff was written almost 30 years ago and leap ... more

• Dan Reynolds (6/18/2014 7:04:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I say, what a wonderful day for visiting a dead poet's page and leaving a comment like, " Very nice, please read some of mine! " ! !

• Gulsher John (6/18/2014 8:04:00 AM) Post reply

hahah, it's very much fashion here... for example: every other comment end as " thanx for sharing" , ah we love adjectives.

• Debra Robinson (6/18/2014 12:56:00 AM) Post reply

At What Cost? (A JFK Tribute Poem)

November 22,1963

Three shots,

One life.

Without warning

History made…

Forever changed.

Three shots,

One life.

Twenty-five years,

November 22,1988.

Too young to remember

(Not too young)

To respect

Three shots,

One life.

Fifty years,

November 22,2013

A world changed,

Forever to question,

At what cost?

© Copyright 1988

Dedicated to the 25th Anniversary of the assignation of JFK and in future tribute to the 50th Anniversary.

• Alexander Rizzo (6/17/2014 7:38:00 PM) Post reply

not shilling for either one of these men, but 2 of the most interesting poets to haunt this forum is carter and palmer. no coincidence that they are 2 of the most published as well, and with the strongest opinions. its neither here nor there in the grand scheme; just saying, as a matter of opinion and some fact

was reading some linda gregg today, a surprisingly good poet, may post a few by her soon.

• Tony Adah (6/17/2014 10:29:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hi poets, when I write I have the full expresssion of myself in relation to my environment past or present. I marry It, I divorce It with very unconventional prose. And that is poetry for you! Join me to read along, your commments I will appreciate.

• Jefferson Carter (6/17/2014 4:33:00 PM) Post reply

Tony, " I divorce it with very unconventional prose" ? I have NO idea what you mean!

• Mokhtari Houssam Eddine (6/17/2014 8:22:00 AM) Post reply

Hi everyone, I really need handy friends for I'm new here and I've any poems yet whereas there will be soon your messages, comments and support are welcome
    THANK YOU

• Bosa Masibi (6/17/2014 7:23:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

hello guys, i have been writing poems and i dont feel they are good enough, how do i write very good poems?please help

• Debra Robinson (6/18/2014 12:37:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hi Bosa, I think the best place to start is by writing what you head and heart is telling you to write. Write with passion first and then work with your critical eye to hone your skills. Post he ... more

• Alexander Rizzo (6/17/2014 7:41:00 PM) Post reply

i beg to differ - there are good poems and bad poems. reconcile yourself to that sir

• Tony Adah (6/17/2014 10:16:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Bosa, no poem is good or bad. Just follow your thought flow that's all. Your perceptions are all yours. Happy writing. Tony.

[Hata Bildir]