Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Atheanga Tiomaint (3/31/2014 10:55:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Based on Sherry's posts, I will venture to guess that she had a strict religious upbringing. Either she was raised by strict Jehovah's witnesses or possibly raised in a strict Catholic home. There is every indication that she experienced abuse of some sort, either as a witness to physical and other abuse or even as a victim. What that develops is a love hate relationship with the mother. The mother is seen as both an enabler of the abuse by the father while at the same time there is pity for the mother as a victim. Often mothers who are extremely religious will even deny the abuse or the depth of the abuse.

All this helps explain the " rough" exterior and the constant need to be in control. Sadly, women with this type of upbringing are more likely to marry pedophiles and alcoholics. They are also twice as likely to enter into abusive relationships in spite of the fact that that is what they would tolerate the least. The relationship with Danny Reynolds says quite a bit about Sherry's personality. From what I read of her exchanges with him, there was a lot of baiting by her, which of course seems to have always triggered a reaction from Danny. This feeling of control actually produces a sense of euphoria on Sherry's part. It is not enough to experience one or two reactions, rather her pleasure is derived from the feeling of control of a male who has in some way or another " hurt" her. This pain turns her anger into rage, but due to the dynamics of a forum, she must use her intellect to inflict maximum revenge and the longer term the more enjoyable.

I wish to thank the two forum members who have asked that I conduct this study. The two characters, Sherry and Lamont, exhibit, in my opinion, signs of borderline personality disorder and as such make ideal candidates. I see this as a challenge and will move on to Lamont Palmer the next discussion.

Replies for this message:
  • Atheanga Tiomaint (3/31/2014 9:01:00 PM) Post reply Stage

This is from Mr. Acker's post from below. I could not find this poem on your site Mr. Palmer. You didn't actually write the lines he is quoting, did you?

Allan Prell's Voice

An audience of listeners is
    Held like love.
    A liberal sun enters daily
    Into the room of your life, in the car

Lay like roadkill at the entrance of ears.
    (I loved the way he screamed Baltimore;

Touched airwaves and subsisted on them,

Driving his tongue from city to city.
    Lamont Palmer

An audience is held like love?
    Into the room of your life?
    Like roadkill at the entrance of ears?(This is the worst one I think!)

• Atheanga Tiomaint (3/31/2014 8:35:00 PM) Post reply Stage

I am attempting to do nothing more than help the two of you. Two members of PoemHunter asked me to apply my expertise to what has been transpiring for six or seven years, or so I was told. I began with a review of posts Sherry Kolb had made then began to study Lamont Palmer's. What has been presented by me was unbiased. I have not heard any specific objections to what I have stated. Sherry is exactly as I described and Lamont Palmer has a disturbing aspect to his personality, which I have not even gotten into here. I think it would be terribly embarrassing. I have stated enough for the two of them to ponder.

• Sherrie Kolb Cassel (3/31/2014 7:15:00 PM) Post reply Stage

In between university life and guffaws, I make the time to read as much poetry as I can. I sometimes find Ciardi's work to be a bit inaccessible, but he's an important poet to me because Ben turned me on to him when we first started dating, nearly nine years ago...along with Cavafy and Richard Hugo. This one is a sweet poem (IMO) - even though I'm allergic to bee stings. I do, however, LOVE morning glories! Enjoy.

Bees and Morning Glories

By John Ciardi

Morning glories, pale as a mist drying,
    fade from the heat of the day, but already
    hunchback bees in pirate pants and with peg-leg
    hooks have found and are boarding them.

This could do for the sack of the imaginary
    fleet. The raiders loot the galleons even as they
    one by one vanish and leave still real
    only what has been snatched out of the spell.

I’ve never seen bees more purposeful except
    when the hive is threatened. They know
    the good of it must be grabbed and hauled
    before the whole feast wisps off.

They swarm in light and, fast, dive in,
    then drone out, slow, their pantaloons heavy
    with gold and sunlight. The line of them,
    like thin smoke, wafts over the hedge.

And back again to find the fleet gone.
    Well, they got this day’s good of it. Off
    they cruise to what stays open longer.
    Nothing green gives honey. And by now

you’d have to look twice to see more than green
    where all those white sails trembled
    when the world was misty and open
    and the prize was there to be taken.

• Atheanga Tiomaint (3/31/2014 5:49:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies Stage

I have followed a bit of what is going on this forum. One conclusion that I have come to is that there is an exhibitionist aspect to your personality, Sherry. You seem to also not only encourage, but foster conflict. I noticed how you direct the subject of such conflict to lead back to you. Very interesting.

You thrive on the need to not only be the center of conflict, but you also try hard to create obsessions with you by male members of this forum. It was that way before you left and it seems to have increased since your return. This is clearly a sign of deep resentment towards the the father figure in your life. He was either abusive sexually or physically either to you or to those around you. The signs are there. Regardless of the type of the abuse that you either experienced or were exposed to, it has not been worked out.

As for Lamont Palmer, I see serious psychological even psychiatric challenges for him, also. As " Blue Bird" has pointed out he seems to fear being know for what or who he really is. Most on this forum have freely added a picture of themselves. That is usually a sign of comfort with oneself and it also shows a lack of fear of being judged. Lacking a picture along with his very aggressive need to debate each and every post, which may be interpreted as negative about him or his poetry, he cannot feel comfortable until they have all been responded to and of course vehemently denied. This often has lack of self-confidence at its root. A self-confident writer will usually defend one or two " attacks" on his reputation, but after that they would be able to comfortably avoid any confrontation, confident in their opinion of themselves. He also requires multiple personas to express himself fully. There seems to be a confrontational Lamont and then he has other personas which he uses as spotlights to highlight aspects of his personality he fears may be judged if shown publicly. One can go on for pages and pages about just this aspect.

There seems to be an obsession with two individuals on this forum, namely Blue Bird and M. Acker. From what I have read over the last few weeks, they seem to be the only two individuals who " dare" to question his judgement and or opinions. Someone with his condition will begin to focus almost exclusively on those posing a threat to an image he needs to maintain. Anyone who challenges him, even if it is only a perceived threat, must, in L. Palmer's mind, be heavily punished. In his mind the biggest threat is that more than one member of a group, in this case the Forum, may begin to see through the facade he works so hard to maintain and possibly lead to a loss of members he has assured loyalty from. Even they are not safe. Just his perception of disloyalty is enough to lash out at former allies.

Someone like him will usually be found working in psychiatric fields, not as a psychiatrist, but rather in lower positions. He will have also failed at attempts to stand out, to be recognized for having a sharp intellect. Most frequently person's with this condition lack the necessary credentials to pursue a career of substance and will exhibit anger and resentment when that is pointed out or becomes an important qualification. Not always, but often they will be, if male, considered to be misogynists. They are often controlling and extremely manipulative in their relationships with the opposite sex. Many also exhibit repressed sexual needs often related to their own sex. With men, they are often closeted h0m0 sexuals, and with women the same is true in reverse.

It is difficult for a psychiatrist like myself to write a 100% accurate analysis of an individual by following their behavior and language on a forum, it is becoming more and more acceptable. What people say and how they say it is the same whether expressed verbally or in the form of posts.

• -. - . _. (3/31/2014 6:58:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Mike Acker (3/29/2014 9: 46: 00 PM) Post reply .............................................I am a student of JC's......... Jefferson Carter (3/17/2014 2: 20: 00 PM) Post reply .......... ... more

• Stan Grossman (3/31/2014 6:53:00 PM) Post reply Stage

A psychiatrist??You big doofus! (I can't believe Doofus has all of this time to waste on this sh*t. Incredible! Get a job Acker!)

• Lamont Palmer (3/31/2014 6:46:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

Oh wow. You're so impartial. No biases there. LOL. Nice post, Mike. Nice phony picture too. You spend a lot of time trying to 'take down', Sherrie and I. You're going to have to do better than this. - ... more

• Mike Acker (3/31/2014 4:53:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Revised and posted as a reply. I hope Palmer sees this. I don't think he had a chance to comment!

• Mike Acker (3/31/2014 4:54:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Strewn In a sterile room, he sits across from me. Modern, polished, exact, seemingly honest, he wears a pristine coat. A gray machine spews out shiny white sheets, strewn with black, bubbly ... more

• Gulsher John (3/31/2014 4:26:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Exodus

Flight of the reason and values,
    has left our cultures sterile
    and brains barren:
    a proven PERILE that takes
    men into wilderness.

The evil temptations
    (like a gentle breeze)
    luring the minds, and carry
    souls to the Pluto's shrine.
    The innocence of man
    has transformed into iniquity,
    that digitising his pure romance
    (an estrangement from the promised land)

From Buddha to Jesus
    and from Nile to Olympus;
    the 'VISION' that always had enlightened the hearts, is now
    enthralled by Lucifer's charms...

• Mike Acker (3/31/2014 2:55:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Pedestrian poet selling tripe on wet noodles....cheap tripe for sale.....tripe for sale......Danny, I have some good quality tripe for sale....tripe for sale on wet noodles!
    We also have fresh roadkill for your ears.....tongue driving service......fresh roadkill....tripe....cheap trip for sale....roadkill for your ears....step right up! ! ! !

• Frank Ovid (3/31/2014 12:14:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Oops. Someone complained, Jeff. I was going to comment, but it's gone (maybe just temporarily) . Mr. Carter knows how to drive the poem. The last two lines took us to a completely different place which is good writing.

• Jefferson Carter (3/31/2014 11:18:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Bluebird and Sherrie, here's my " ek" poem..

BALTHUS: “THE GUITAR LESSON”

That eleven-year-old girl, naked
    from the waist down, arched backward
    across the knees of her teacher,
    the guitar forgotten under the chair.
    Someone’s offended. The woman who works
    with abused children. The earnest father
    of a young girl. So let’s discuss our incessant
    & various physical ailments, the subject
    our grandparents drove us crazy with.
    Or let’s discuss that man who sat shaking
    on the reservoir wall, his backpack full of rocks.

• Sherrie Kolb Cassel (3/31/2014 11:25:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

JC: I am often jealous of your ability to write succinctly without any fluff. I'm still working on being able to write that poetic nude.

[Hata Bildir]