Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Professor Plum (8/1/2014 11:27:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies Stage

Jeff, I meant the post as a compliment. Do you expect me to say the poem is a " great piece of literature" ?I mean, we're not exactly plumbing the depths of the human soul now are we (any of us) ?Okay, maybe it's somewhere in between, sorry. Once someone called you the Billy Collins of the west coast, and I think that's pretty accurate. The slight difference is, Collins has quite a bit of atmosphere in his poems. Your choice to use that " plain style" doesn't lend itself to much atmosphere at all. It's like a guy at work at the water cooler telling you a story about what happened last night. It's funny and very interesting, but I wouldn't call it a " great poem" .

God! Did I just question the great JC?Oh, sh*t.

Replies for this message:
    • Jefferson Carter (8/1/2014 6:17:00 PM) Post reply Stage

No problemo, Prof. I can take it! I like your guy at the water cooler analogy. JC

• Alexander Rizzo (8/1/2014 6:03:00 PM) Post reply Stage

i'd say the good prof has more complexity in his work than Collins, but Collins has more rhythm, more richness. 'rich' is not a word you would use to describe carters work. mr carter's plain style is ... more

• Lamont Palmer (8/1/2014 1:57:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

'To deal only in punning wit indicates an essential falsehood in the poet’s view of his art, as though language were only interesting when it is defective, never when it is a tool of discovery. It is ... more

• James Timothy Jarrett (8/1/2014 10:25:00 AM) Post reply Stage

I told you that I would fight nice JC. I have found in my travels that poets and writers seem to be the only people who can transcend the normal boundaries in life. Instead of politics or party we speak the common language of the soul.Whether we stop and listen, in the end, is up to us. This is pretty much a public forum apology to JC for all the times I went out of my way to be as rude and abusive towards him as I could and imply that none of his work had merit. Enough said.

• James Timothy Jarrett (8/1/2014 10:11:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Clang association: " In psychology and psychiatry, clanging is a form of speech pattern where thinking is driven by word sounds. For example, rhyming or alliteration may lead to the appearance of logical connections where none in fact exists. This, just one manifestation amongst a more general spectrum of thought disorders, is associated with the irregular thinking apparent in psychotic mental illnesses, e.g schizophrenia. " Ever wonder what is wrong with poets?Really, think about it....

• Tim Dolan (8/1/2014 3:01:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

Reason! withdraw your autonomous eudonism,
    ( belief settles )
    dance on narrow spires,
    conspired by the endless orgasm of sunrise

Hold HEART
    purpose glimmers as the poker face ____________.
    cradle not that will not live
    forgive misery and the long lone line that shall lead away

Keep climbers at bay with flight
    drone sun on cold concrete,
    price obscures worth, not enough
    passion remains. and I fight

abide my resolution
    will not return, constituted
    tempt not, kindness, persistence! and fear
    I here, am PRESENT

Inertia bow please
    chance
    and hope and the beating of drums

if there is more
    I will find it in you

• Gulsher John (8/1/2014 12:03:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

The phantasms
    of my filthy fancies
    breeding,
    an exquisite boredom; and
    this monotony,
    when tunes,
    swabs all the vivacities
    and
    screws up my art.

• Professor Plum (8/1/2014 12:24:00 PM) Post reply Stage

This poem is growing on me. Creepy, that thing about " swabbing something" . I like it.

• Jefferson Carter (7/31/2014 6:05:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Well, I'll be hornswaggled (as we say in Arizona) ! ! Management has deleted Thripp's putrid wallpaper! Congrats, managers, for doing your job! !

• Professor Plum (7/31/2014 2:36:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Well well. Where's Ritardo?Shame he had to leave. I wonder how many books he sold. he-he-he!

• F. J. Thomas (7/31/2014 1:13:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Would someone please let me know what the qualification are for becoming a " top 500" poet?
    I only ask because I've read several of these " top" poems and I mean no disrespect but....well....I'll just ask, what made them qualify please?

• James Timothy Jarrett (7/31/2014 9:31:00 AM) Post reply | Read 4 replies Stage

The pomegranate tree

It was a small bit of freedom
    Stolen under the dark desert sky
    It was counted out
    Not by minutes or hours
    But kernel by kernel
    Of delicious forbidden fruit
    Eaten slowly
    Like a lover
    Savoring every sweet drop
    Nothing else existed
    For the moment
    But the wide open night
    And sweet rough skinned fruit
    Torn open bit by bit
    Slowly anticipating every ruby orb
    That would burst it's sweet juice
    In wet pleasure
    The nights were hot and dry
    The smell of dust
    Still hanging like a veil
    And was it all was about the dust
    That freedom giving dust
    Not from the dry desert
    But the dust left on the window sill
    Tended in soft careful piles
    Next to the bars
    To be carefully packed back into place
    So they could lie
    Lie about the night
    Lie about the fruit
    And the forbidden trysts
    Under the outstretched arms
    Of the small twisted tree
    But the rough red peels
    Left carelessly strewn about
    By small unwitting fingers
    Eventually told the truth
    That the bars wouldn't
    And they started counting the fruits
    Every day and every morning
    The bounty now left untouched
    But the night was still there
    With stars close enough to hold in your hand
    The hot desert breeze gently breathing
    And every moment
    Free

• Lamont Palmer (8/4/2014 4:16:00 AM) Post reply Stage

I like how it moves from image to image, but unfortunately many of those images are cliches. It needs to be reworked a bit. -LP

• Gulsher John (8/1/2014 12:15:00 AM) Post reply Stage

If the worth of a Dance or tune (or any form of Art) measures in parts or in steps, her charm and charisma disappears. Art is something to be taken or assessed as a whole.

• Professor Plum (7/31/2014 6:07:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Terrific poem James. Best poem to be posted on here in a while. And, I had to go to Grammar.com again to see if it was 'awhile' or 'a while'. CURSE YOU JEFFERSON CARTER!

• Jefferson Carter (7/31/2014 2:59:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

A couple of good lines here, but any poe ... more

• delilah contrapunctal (7/30/2014 10:26:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Richard/Ricardo...can you not be content selling your books, etc. elsewhere as you have done/continue to do?...people here do not appreciate this forum being flooded with the ramblings of just one being...you have not tapped a viable market...you have engendered no little amount of rancor with your deluges...if you must post here, do, as has been the practice of most, post your lengthy treatises as replies....unless your interest is in angering and frustrating those who would appreciate the space to post what they would like to bring to the forum you shall fail in whatever it is you are attempting to do.... you shall be unread and scrolled past...do yourself and the rest of us a courtesy...post as replies..you are indeed being noticed, it is true, but not with interest or affection/appreciation......thank you

To read all of 1 replies click here
[Hata Bildir]