Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

David Keig Male, 63, Australia (10/12/2004 8:10:00 PM)

hi all

just discovered poemhunter this morning and am exploring it now

i live in sydney which is baking in 32 degree heat at the moment....and it is only just the start of spring here

a question that i have been thinking about is 'where does poetry stop and song writing begin? '

would welcome any comments, example, thoughts etc

david

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Stephen O Hanlon (3/20/2005 8:24:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hi David, in answer to your question, and I feel qualified to answer this as I have co-written over 30 songs over the years, here is your answer. I believe Poetry stops when you add music to it!

Replies for this message:
    • David Gerardino (9/12/2006 3:07:00 PM) Post reply

wrong, there are many chords, that fit many poems, , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

• Sarika Singh (1/27/2005 10:05:00 PM) Post reply

Hi, I just discovered this site yesterday.

That's a very good question. I know that I remember poems that are sound-intensive very easily, whereas I cannot recall ones that are free verse and lack those sound mechanics. So, i think that it's hard to tell where a poem ends and a song begins-and it should be that way-art should transcend such 'labels'.

• glen still (1/13/2005 7:40:00 PM) Post reply

In the mind of the writer!

• Frederick Kesner (11/26/2004 5:26:00 PM) Post reply

Well as far as I know the 'song' is a type (sub-genré, if you will) of Poetry and for me always went by the simple characteristic of a poem set to music... meant to be sung and not meant for declamation or reciting.

I hope that helps: _)

• Sandy Mcfadyean (11/15/2004 11:58:00 AM) Post reply

I'm not entirely sure! I know that in my experience many a good poem could have benefited from music (which would make it a song? ?) and many a bad song is amazing when the words alone are read, Take Britney Spears' 'Baby One More Time' for example. It's an interesting question but I have always taken poetry and songs to be quite closely related. It's maybe for it's entertainment value that songwriting and poetry are different. Songwriting is almost invariably for the pleasure of others, or is designed to be heard by others, where poetry, I would suggest, can be very personal and often very difficult to enjoy. I realise that this is a terrible generalisation, but it's just a suggestion rather than an answer that I'm putting forward for consideration.

• Derek R. Audette (10/23/2004 6:40:00 AM) Post reply

I don't have an answer to your question. However, I thought it interesting that when I read your question, my immediate thought was: 'with melody.' But, when I thought about it, I realized that while that answer may have had some merit just a few short decades ago, it doesn't anymore. And, for the life of me, I can't fully decide whether or not that is really a good thing, or a bad thing. Although, I'm leaning towards 'good thing' at the moment.

[Hata Bildir]