Post more comments
Want a gift card for being active Forum member? Post comments and win $25 gift card every week.
Rules:
PoemHunter.com will be giving away Amazon.com gift cards (worth $75 in total) every week to first three members ($25 each) who participate most in our forum discussions. You just have to post comments on forum pages, poet pages or poem pages anywhere inside PoemHunter.com
Comments posted needs to be in different pages. Posting more than 1 comment on the same page will only be counted once.
Members can not post comments without being logged in.
PoemHunter.com has the right to cancel or edit this contest.
PoemHunter.com has a right to disqualify or ban member(s) without providing any type of reason, belief or proof in regards to any type of illegal activity or fraud.

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Duane Harris Male, 52, United States (11/23/2004 1:00:00 PM)

has anyone seen the movie Sylvia, about Sylvia Plath. Gwyneth Paltrow stars as Sylvia. I thought it was gret and that Ms. Paltrow did a wonderful job.

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Maria Kamy Abdool (1/24/2005 4:57:00 AM) Post reply

Yes, it was indeed a wonderful movie. Honestly, I had no idea it was about Sylvia Platt until I actually saw the movie, but it was splendid.

• Cathy Jackson (1/4/2005 11:32:00 AM) Post reply

Yes, I did see the movie, and it was very moving - some of her poetry is very hard to read, not that it deals so much with death, but that it seems incoherent much of the time (drugs perhaps) , some of her stuff is brilliant though. Gwyneth did indeed do a great job of portraying Ms. Plath, but then, I expect little else from Ms. Paltrow, she is a wonderfully convincing actress. Another movie you might enjoy is the Dorothy Parker (the vicious circle) movie - her poetry is very witty with a cynical twist.

• Suzanne Hege (12/9/2004 7:45:00 AM) Post reply

I agree. I was worried that I wouldn't enjoy it, being a long time Plath fan. However, I was extremely impressed at the passion with which Paltrow played her role.

• C M (11/28/2004 6:59:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

It was really well done, however, I thought they really brushed over her mental illness and severe depression. She had a haunted soul, and they made her out to be only possessive wife without touching on what really tormented her. They also said little about her father, which was such a driving force in her poetry.

Replies for this message:
    • Duane Harris (11/29/2004 9:01:00 PM) Post reply

Exactly. They barely covered ted's affairs, he had more than one. And made her out to look like a total shrew without touching on the effect Otto's death had on her and if I hadn't known the story I ... more

[Hata Bildir]