Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Felicity Curson Female, 25, United Kingdom (2/22/2005 7:43:00 AM)

Can anyone help i need to find out about Siegfried sasson and Wilfred owen has anyone got any info on them for me

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Andrew Fincham (2/23/2005 10:21:00 AM) Post reply

Both were taken from middle class backgrounds to trains as very junior officers in WW1. Owen was a middle class boy from the midlands/welsh borders who gained notice for his poems written about the war, encouraged by SS who met up with him in a hospital for soldiers suffering from 'nerves'. He died just days before it ended, so we'll never know what he might have done. Sassoon was a very absorbed writer who as poet had self published a small collection of verse (the Old Huntsman) in 1916, then became convinced that the war could be negotiated to a peace, and got influential friends of his to raise the matter in parliament. The army reacted by pretending he was suffereing from 'nerves' - hence the hospital where he met 'Little Owen' (as he called him) . He became a symbol for pacifists, but once he realised that he protest would make no difference, so went back to the army.

They are a pair of 'war poets' - more interesting now, perhaps, for the type they represented (sensitive middle class worrying paternally about the poor working class troopers) than as poets, for neither of them were particularly special, and the style of that period was a sort of transitional-romantic - not great, really. Sassoon's memoirs are an excellent prose picture of his life and the times...
    You can also get his diaries in print - I have them, but there's more reading in the 'novels'

• louis sacre croix (2/22/2005 9:37:00 PM) Post reply

Just tell me what you want to know?

• louis sacre croix (2/22/2005 9:36:00 PM) Post reply

I know a lot about them in fact Owen is my favourite poet.

[Hata Bildir]