Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Michael Shepherd Male, 85, United Kingdom (3/29/2005 4:51:00 PM)

Might there be some subject about the actual writing of poetry which we might feel inclined to discuss? It's what this forum was set up for. I know so little about contemporary poetry anyway - even a list of personally admired poets would be a helpful start for me. There's a mass of poets on this site who may never get looked at by me because of not even knowing their names. I'll offer you one who corpses me - the guy we-all wanted to be British Poet Laureate - Benjamin Zephaniah. 'Dis Poetry' is joyous. And 'Christmas Turkeys'..

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Michael Shepherd (4/1/2005 3:45:00 PM) Post reply

Thanks, guys, for a good response. That should keep me busy for days in the few minutes left after catching up with John Chung...
    Jefferson, you sound best equipped for setting us homework! ?

• ***** ***** (3/30/2005 2:12:00 PM) Post reply

Another idea would be to discuss 2 versions of a poem. To illustrate how minor changes (substitution of a word, insertion or deletion of a line, etc.) might alter the meaning or artistic impact of a piece.

• Lenchen Elf (3/29/2005 5:11:00 PM) Post reply

Hi Michael
    Three contemporary 'family favourites' here are Brian Patten, Roger McGough and Ian McMillan, unfortunately Ian isn't on this site but he is on BBC radio quite a lot, I think you'd like his work if you haven't heard him perform already: -) T'lads from Barnsley tha' knows: -) Zephaniah is a star isn't he: -)
    all the best
    L

[Hata Bildir]