Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Solitary Man Male, 14, Zambia (3/31/2005 6:04:00 AM)

Surely, everything is relative. I know people who would not rate their very favourite films, poems, etc. as being more than a '9', suggesting that (philosophically speaking) a '10' should be unattainable. I have given a '10' to a few things because, in my book, a '10' is an acknowledgement that the poem achieves everything it set out to do, and does not fall short. It seems to me that this is a fair way of assessing a piece. Otherwise, if one was to only class Dante or Shakespeare (for example) as a benchmark...everybody would be lucky to get passed 1/10! For example, if one injures oneself accidentally...a person could be extremely eloquent and quote Goethe...or one could perfectly encapsulate the moment with a well-timed, mono-syllabic expletive. I'd give the expletive 10/10 in that situation.

I think Michael Sheperd is right when he says that ratings are not something to get hung up about. It allows some people to gain a little confidence (which can only be a positive thing) ...and ultimately...if one is not happy with a certain line in a poem that they wrote...all the 10/10's in the world are not going to change their mind. Conversely, if one receives lots of stinking 1/10's but you think that you got the poem to where you wanted to take it...why worry about ratings?

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Rookie Janice M Pickett (3/31/2005 6:30:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

I think everyone is so hung up on numbers that they have forgotten the basic principles.
    If you enjoy something very much you give it the highest score on the site which is ten. Not because ten means a darn thing really..BUT because it shows you REALLY enjoyed the poem. THAT IS ALL. It just sends a message to the poet that someone really enjoyed the poem. Scores lower than that are indication that maybe someone didn't enjoy it as much. If they don't like it they give a low figure. So what! Thats their decision and choice. BUT...If a new reader sees low scores, they will often judge before reading and automatically pass by, what could be a really nice poem. The rating is not a power play but a simple means of finding out who likes your work....So when someone comes along and puts stupid scores without reading the poems, just out of spite, it damages the pleasure of reading the poem by another person who just clicks passed it believing it must be rubbish. It destroys the pleasure for the reader and also the poet who looks forward to seeing who has liked their work.

Replies for this message:
    • Rookie Poetry Hound (3/31/2005 8:51:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

There is no evidence that visitors bypass poems with low scores. At best, there may be some personal anecdotes. In that regard, I was a visitor before I became a member, and scores of any kind did not ... more

• Rookie Solitary Man (3/31/2005 7:00:00 AM) Post reply

Yes, I agree with you. I hadn't considered the potential detrimental effects of maliciousness. However, personally speaking, I don't think that any thinking person would bypass a poem rated 1/10. I ag ... more

[Hata Bildir]