Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

kenneth william snow Male, 58, United States (6/16/2005 10:07:00 AM)

IMHO...I don't believe the last word of the line is sufficient...I'd like to see a phrase or half a line at least..This can give us some insight into meter and content...Better chance to get a more fluent poem...

IMHO
kenneth

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Michael Shepherd (6/16/2005 12:34:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Aha, Kenneth! nice point. The surrealists, who thrived on non-sequiturs and the more bizarre the better, would have been happy with this last-word process. The old 19th century 'Consequences' played mostly in prose, required a complete last sentence. But this, if not broken with phrases rather than sentences, comes out as a series of one-liners. Maybe next time?

A variation suggests iself - tell everyone the last words of all the lines so far.That way, we could ruin Jefferson's day and make it all or partly rhyme...

Replies for this message:
    • Michael Shepherd (6/16/2005 12:41:00 PM) Post reply

... and further: telling people the whole previous line, rather than the last word or the last phrase, would give a pleasantly surrealist continuity of thought? It would allow ingenuity in taking the ... more

• Poetry Hound (6/16/2005 11:13:00 AM) Post reply

I agree with you, Kenneth, but it sounds like it's already off and running. Maybe we can try your way next time. I suspect with this one-word approach we'll end up with a list of nonsequitors.

[Hata Bildir]