Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

***** ***** Female, 14, United States (7/2/2005 8:05:00 PM)

I am going to follow that post with a further statement of disgust. We have been asked to partake in a huge people movement (at least in feeling) and you have been too busy on some mickey mouse quest to better yourselves on some quiet corner of the net to notice that you could have been part of something special. Jesus, wake up... WAKE UP! ! ! ! ! You have just missed the train to Revolution... Your next stop..? you decide.

S.

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Michael Shepherd (7/3/2005 11:38:00 AM) Post reply

Sounds as if you should be writing a great poem out of this depth of emotion, Sonja.

• Andrew Konisberg (7/3/2005 10:34:00 AM) Post reply

I don't wish to get entrenched in a rich versus poor debate. I come from a working-class background and that goes back for generations. I think that there are kind people who have money and kind people who have little money, but it is easier to be kind when you have money to spare that won't remove the food from the family table. I view Bob Geldof as a figurehead for something important. In an ideal world, politicians would be champions of the people (in principle, that is their job) but that is a rarity, to say the least. So, I think Geldof is acting in a valuable way to get people behind a worthwhile cause; to act as a focaliser for thousands of people who would like to see justice done. There is no doubt that you need the super-rich people on-board to effect change but it is also faitr to point out that it is the greed of Western countries that causes much of the problem in Africa. Second to that, it is the greed of corrupt governments in African countries which adds to the problem. The only way you deal with the second problem is to remove corrupt officials from power and that would have to include Bush and Blair, because they are clearly corrupt too. Bush's campaign in Iraq could be viewed as a willful genocide on American troops under the guise of a 'just' war. Blair has repeatedly lied whilst in office and there should be a system in Britain for removing him. We all know that Bush and Blair would never face an impeachment trial over Iraq and 'the war on terror'. and the joke is, Clinton faced an impeachment trial over a member of admin (not Poemhunter admin, I hasten to add) performing fellatio upon his right honourable member! Clinton presidency wasn't 'stainless' in other regards either, but Bush and Blair have a far worse record than Clinton...and EVERYBODY knows about it! We mock African countries for their dictatorships, flawed electoral systems, and sense of democracy...look closer to home, my friends. What is a compulsory draft (this is going to be introduced in America in the near future) in a democracy? What are ID cards and millions of surveillance cameras doing in a democracy? No member of the public ever voted on surveillance cameras (the average person in Britain gets caught on a surveillance camera 200 times per week, on average) ...no American citizen voted on a compulsory draft but it's going to happen. Most of the British people were against going into Iraq but they were completely railroaded...I suggest in America, Canada and Britain (for example) we are living in forms of dictatorship...democracy is largely a sham; Bush won the 2001 election fraudulently (no independent economist disputes that) and the 2004 election run on a mostly computerized ballot was proven to ditch thousands and thousands of votes because the computerized electoral machines were run by private companies who happened to have members of the government and Republican congressman on the board of a siter-company, if one followed the trail back. Just prior to the 2005 election in Britain a few officials in the Labour party were dismissed because it came out that they had rigged elections. Bush is trying to outlaw public demonstrations...this has been caught on video many times in the last year...peaceful demonstrators being surrounded by tanks and the water-hoses let loose on them and police taking photographs on protestors just stood respectfully on the sidewalk...the American government do not like people-power and the fuel protests of a few years ago in Britain show that when even hundreds of people stand united, they can hold the country at ransom...so what's my point? we see ourselves as civilised in our countries because most of us can put food on the table, have water, sanitation, electricity, cars, the internet, etc. but I would argue that these things are to do with a level of affluence, not a matter of being civilised. Civilised countries can't stand by and say it's acceptable that they have ripped-off the African continent for centuries (Britain & America's slave-trade would be merely one example...other European countries were heavily involved also...the Portugese for instance) and that it's acceptable that people have no food or clean running water, or education systems.....the list is a long one. But European and American officials are corrupt too...Bush last year creamed off a few BILLION dollars (unannounced) off of the American taxpayer in a secret account for the Pentagon...that has become public and nobody even denies it. But most of us can eat, pay medical bills, and exist without being constantly hand-to-mouth. The situation on the African continent is a disgrace that, historically, Europe and America are largely responsible for. So, Geldof's aims may appear naive but he is trying to spearhead a movement and that movement requires predominantly, the working classes and middle classes exerting pressure on the upper classes to achieve anything at all.

[Hata Bildir]