Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Poetry Hound Male, 60, United States (7/17/2005 12:16:00 PM)

Shep, the other day you said you were once told that there's only one question a critic should attempt to answer and that is, 'Does this achieve what it set out to do? ' I've been thinking about that and in discussions I've had (or overheard) with novelist friends and acquaintances over the years, they always talk about how they don't really know where their story will go when they start writing. They might start out with some inspiration or an idea but they're not really thinking about what they're trying to 'achieve.' Maybe it's different with poets since you can more easily think out a poem in advance. I'm curious, so this is a question for anyone who'd like to answer it. What is the mental process you go through when you write a poem? Is most of the theme and direction thought out before you start writing and do you have a pretty firm idea of what it is you're trying to 'achieve? ' Or do you just start out with a snippet and see where it leads?

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• t. h. ashbury (7/17/2005 8:58:00 PM) Post reply

i know this is dreadful, forgive me, but the answer for me, is, it depends...

[Hata Bildir]