Members Who Read Most Number Of Poems

Live Scores

Click here to see the rest of the list

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Matthew Donovan Matthew Donovan Male, 23, Canada (2/18/2013 9:42:00 PM)

Hey, how do you guys feel about short poems?Do they do it for you?

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Linda Ori (3/4/2013 12:54:00 PM) Post reply

Write your poem as it comes. Some will " complete" themselves in a matter of verses, some will run longer. Whatever inspiration is firing the creative neurons will run its course and there is no set length. My poems come to me like a movie - there is an opening line, a building of the message, and a winding down to an eventual ending statement or summation. Some are short and sweet, others take a bit longer to convey the message. Just have fun and let your poems write themselves. When that happens, it's the ultimate " high" .

• Hardik Vaidya (2/23/2013 8:18:00 AM) Post reply

Mathew my submission to all you young poets out there, don't worry too much about the length of the poem. When you do that it makes me feel sad. It gives me a impression that you measure your creativity, don't do it. The best yard stick is stop and lift the pen or your fingers off the type screen when you think you have come, like the new mother who just delivered, don't linger one word more nor one less beyond the point of coming. The poetry has to be yours with or without editing.

• Donnaj York (2/21/2013 9:26:00 PM) Post reply

Short is fine if well written. To be honest, some poems are too long, and as I read on and on I find my mind saying " blah" , " blah" , " blah" , insteading of reading the actual words written. That's when I know the poem is not my personal style and have to abandon to seek another piece to read. Sometimes I fear some of mine are too long, but the length of the poem, I guess, depends on the amount and substance of the subject.

• Titi Dale (2/21/2013 1:41:00 AM) Post reply

I think short poems are unusually rare, to be honest :) but I think that if any1 does write 1, it should be short but deliver enough meaning in few lines to transfix the readers.

• Peter Stavropoulos (2/20/2013 12:53:00 PM) Post reply

Short poems
    Are the best way
    To explore words
    Luckily
    There is a lot
    To Explore

• Greg Davidson (2/19/2013 4:56:00 PM) Post reply

LUV short poems

• Lyn Pendleton (2/18/2013 11:42:00 PM) Post reply

Generally no. but when reading a poet I like, long or short, I'm going
    to like it. but with a bad poet, I think the shorter the better. So, it's all
    in who's doing the writing, isn't it?Lyn

[Hata Bildir]