Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Titi Dale Titi Dale Female, 14, Australia (2/22/2013 4:27:00 PM)

Hey, how do u guys feel about ultra long poems?Do u read the whole thing?Or do u skip some and just read the end?

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Rookie - 304 Points Hardik Vaidya (2/23/2013 8:06:00 AM) Post reply
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

Hi Dale, I will suggest, don't think about the length of the poem. Let me try and explain this alternatively. First you don't write prima facie for your reader, you write for your self, otherwise your poetry will not be yours, it will be news, news has to be crisp, to the point and rational. But you are a talented poet. And I truly believe in your reach. When you grow further not just as a human but also as a young lady, you will wear different attires to suit your different moods. When attending a evening gathering, over cocktails, you may choose to wear a flowing long dress, and while on a lazy Weekend at a local joint with some one you love would want to be in a short skirt and have a couple of responsible fosters. Therefore the length is relative, and though I am a very lazy reader, and I hate reading, I will still recommend, don't go by the length of your writing, write till the length of your being in that poem.

• Rookie - 150 Points Poetry Hound (2/22/2013 10:36:00 PM) Post reply

Long poems can be great. If you start reading BH Fairchild's " Body and Soul" on this site, you'll be enthralled from the start and you won't be able to stop reading until the end.

• Rookie Donnaj York (2/22/2013 8:15:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

A really long poem needs meaningful message & substance to merit the length. I personally don't need rhyme. Too " rhymey" can come off as a bit corny like an outfit that's too matchy-matchy. But rythm is necessary to keep me reading. Otherwise you may as well go for a short story, or if you have enough material, a novel.

Replies for this message:
    • Rookie Deborah Cromer (3/19/2013 12:49:00 AM) Post reply

Too " rhymey" ....I write, I publish, and I post. Rhymes, they are all I do. No matchy-matchy in my work. Wolf Love and Forgiven are long and rhyme. These two works have achieved high marks ... more

[Hata Bildir]