Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Jefferson Carter Jefferson Carter Male, 91, United States (6/15/2013 2:07:00 PM)

(This massage was posted as a reply to that message)

Alice, I suppose those cliches —babes in the woods, waters of oblivion—would be all right if you somehow re-vitalized them, gave them a new context, played with their sound, until the cliches themselves are re-born as something original. Hard to do. I tried it once with the advertising cliche " a school for famous writers, " changing it to " a school for famous readers, " which I liked a lot. Here's the barrier to your improving as a living, breathing contemporary poet: Your addiction to rhyme and meter. There are a few masters of formal poetry still left (Richard Howard, Anthony Hecht) , but formal verse will never return as a predominant or even minor type of poetry. If you're really skilled formally (and you're not, you lose a line's meter too often) you might be read as a mildly entertaining formal poet, an anachronism who's ignored the last 60 years of American poetry and poetics. Rhyme is DEAD! Meter needs to be handled with careful subtlety. If you could focus on similes, figures of speech, diction, surprising content, (and FORGET rhyme and meter) , breaking lines where they sound best, you might just improve some. Oh, I do like the sound of " manic in panic...."

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Alice Vedral Rivera (6/15/2013 4:52:00 PM) Post reply Stage

This is a good critique of a poem I wrote in 1998. I don't agree with everything you say, but I get your point and the critique of this poem is helpful.

[Hata Bildir]