Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Mary Morstan Female, 54, New Zealand (6/15/2013 5:04:00 PM)

You can go on forever here, pointing out how people can improve their poems, but they will never come close to writing good poems if they haven't immersed themselves, not only in poetry, but in the ideas of their time and the world of ideas. They will never write good poems if they aren't in love with words and language, want to do fresh and innovative things with it to make it, as opposed to them, shine; they will never write thought-provoking work if they continue to see poetry as a means of communication, refuse to allow language to say itself, continue to force their own unoriginal ideas into torturous and outdated forms. The best poets were watchers and listeners and thinkers and people of vision long before they sat down to write. They respect language and words, don't want to cheapen it/them by penning sentimental rhymes. Sentimental poetry is an escape – like heroin. It's a refusal to see reality, a cheap fantasy, a kick in the teeth for the thinking person.

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Rookie - 1st Stage Jefferson Carter (6/15/2013 7:48:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Mary, I'd agree. The best poets may not be the best thinkers or visionaries but they love words more than they love themselves! Most of the poet-wannabees on this site are looking for a stroke or two, assuring them that others see them as sensitive, profound people. Writing good poetry has little to do with that.

Replies for this message:
    • ..... W@king Up..... (6/16/2013 1:13:00 AM) Post reply

I can't say I agree with this, but it is one of the things that make a poet. Not a good poet, but just a poet, where the words find them, not the other way around. I myself have a love of writing and ... more

[Hata Bildir]