Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Jefferson Carter Jefferson Carter Male, 91, United States (6/17/2013 11:45:00 AM)

David Wood, I read " G8" and didn't like it much. Why imitate 19th-century rhyming verse?The battle against formal verse, especially sing-song formal verse, was lost about 60 years ago. You need to STOP writing and start reading. Whether you want to write contemporary poetry or not, you don't have a choice. If you're serious about writing better poems, immerse yourself in the work of good contemporary poets, like Charles Simic, Philip Levine, Mary Oliver, etc. If you're not serious about writing decent poetry, why bother to post?

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• David Wood (6/18/2013 10:54:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

You really are an obnoxious snob. I was hoping people would read the message not focus on the style. You are being rather an anal retentive. If somebody emailed you that 'there will be a nuklear war in ten minutes' you would focus on the spelling error and not the message.

Replies for this message:
    • Jefferson Carter (6/18/2013 12:16:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Ah, yes, David, the old " Snob" attack! When it comes to quality in art, you're damn tootin' I'm a snob! If you want readers to focus on your G8 message (such as it is) , write an email ... more

[Hata Bildir]