Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

David Wood David Wood Male, 64, United Kingdom (6/18/2013 10:54:00 AM)

(This massage was posted as a reply to that message)

You really are an obnoxious snob. I was hoping people would read the message not focus on the style. You are being rather an anal retentive. If somebody emailed you that 'there will be a nuklear war in ten minutes' you would focus on the spelling error and not the message.

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Jefferson Carter (6/18/2013 12:16:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Ah, yes, David, the old " Snob" attack! When it comes to quality in art, you're damn tootin' I'm a snob!

If you want readers to focus on your G8 message (such as it is) , write an email or a short essay or any kind of expository prose. That's what it's for—transmitting information. If you think couching that message in spastic meter, sing-song rhymes and worn-out phrases actually adds to the persuasiveness of your position, you're nuttier than a fruit-cake factory. If you knew ANYTHING about poetry and poetics, you would have been too embarrassed to send me that message above.

[Hata Bildir]