Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

S. A. S. Female, 62, United States (6/18/2013 7:27:00 PM)

(This massage was posted as a reply to that message)

JC, Regarding your premise that " someone posts a poem, fishing for compliments, " - -] I have heard you say this before and I think you are wrong. I believe the majority of people posting want to improve their work and perhaps have no one else to read it. Most people aren't in an academic environment. If you haven't noticed, most of the populace doesn't routinely read any form of literature beyond " The Hunger Games." Most of the people I deal with daily have no idea I write anything beyond a business letter. The crit I've received over the years from TDF, Martin Turner, W/Mary, Denis Joe, Jesse Weiner, and others has helped- made me re-think certain poems and projects. A friend who is a novelist recently sent me some impressions/tips based on PH postings, and I am still muling them over and applying them to pieces I have not posted on PH. You've been lucky to be published and have connections in life- your talent has been enabled- but most writers struggle in complete annonymity. Sometimes it's helpful to have an online connection when no other exists.

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• S. A. S. (6/19/2013 3:51:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

I don't think the poets I mentiolned above post looking for compliments. I also forgot some important people like John Kay, Adam Reynolds, LP, Lawrence Beck, etc. What I always wished was that more people would post less " finished" poems. I'd like to read drafts, works in progress, and see the rewrites. The only person I've really felt ever did this was TDF.

• Mary Morstan Rookie - 1st Stage (6/19/2013 4:43:00 PM) Post reply

All the ones I have on here are drafts - never finish until they're put by for a few months.

• Lamont Palmer Rookie - 1st Stage (6/19/2013 4:15:00 PM) Post reply

Like. Naturally you couldn't think of everyone. I understood. -LP

• Lamont Palmer Rookie - 1st Stage (6/19/2013 2:20:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Everyone gets rankled by a bad critique, professional or amateur; no one enjoys being panned or ripped apart. Nor do I know a poet who is not looking for affirmation. Thats partly why we all write. That said, when you post (or publish) deal with the criticism as gracefully as you bathe in the praise. Every poem is flawed, from Eliot's to Bukowski's, and there is no such thing as a poet who is universally admired.

I don't think criticism or random comments help us improve much, as most poets may not believe or take to heart what the critic says. A poet 'improves' (at least this is my experience) from recognizing, in himself, his own flaws, through reading greater work and making comparisons to his own, and following the lead of poets who have done or are doing what he feels like he wants to do; its all a very personal endeavor, the process of development. Most poets grow in solitude, just he and his tools, alone, studying and working it all out on paper. -LP

• Lamont Palmer Rookie - 1st Stage (6/19/2013 11:16:00 AM) Post reply

The best kind of 'contact' is through reading. I'm able to hang out and enjoy the company and advice of Stevens, Eliot, Merrill, and Auden any time I choose, which is much more impactful than if I had ... more

[Hata Bildir]