Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Lamont Palmer Male, 52, United States (6/24/2013 7:16:00 PM)

(This massage was posted as a reply to that message)

Nice. But I bet every competent poet reading my words right now has been called 'extraordinary' at one time or another.. There's no real accounting for taste. There are people who think Bukowski is absolutely brilliant. Was he really?I don't think so. Oprah thinks Maya Angelou is 'extraordinary'. Is she?Not in my book. So all you can do is be happy someone enjoys your work, and not get too preoccupied with 'praise'. -LP

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Jefferson Carter (6/24/2013 9:37:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies Stage

True, Monty. But I am REALLY pleased someone liked my poems that much, even just one person. You're right, though, extraordinary is just another of the many cheap words you find in any blurb on any book of poetry. And being preoccupied with one's reputation wastes time we could be polishing our art! Still, this kind of praise beats a sharp stick in the anus any day, eh?

Replies for this message:
    • Jefferson Carter (6/27/2013 11:19:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

What I love most about Lamont is his inability to be generous. Any praise given to someone he considers a contemporary, a rival, and he pisses on it as hard as he can. I suspect this behavior spring ... more

• Lamont Palmer (6/27/2013 2:54:00 AM) Post reply Stage

I'm willing to bet your reader has never run across a poem by Rachel Hadas, or Henri Cole, or Brigit Peegen Kelly. -LP

• S. A. S. (6/26/2013 8:26:00 PM) Post reply Stage

I've never experienced a sharp stick in the anus, but I'm sure it would be....extraordinary.

[Hata Bildir]