Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Scotty Dogg Scotty Dogg Male, 44, United States (10/18/2013 9:11:00 PM)

(This massage was posted as a reply to that message)

Big mistake thinking poetry is 'a genuine human emotion'. Poetry is about words and descriptions. Emotions generally bog a poem down. Try getting rid of the emotion and figure out a unique way to describe some life situation. The situation can be emotional, but the description of it should not be.

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Freshman - 1,367 Points Mike Acker (10/18/2013 9:47:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

Interesting point of view. I disagree though. Without the heart(genuine human emotion put in words) what you end up with is an intellectual exercise or put more bluntly intellectual masturbation. But, like you said, I am not an expert either.

Replies for this message:
    • Freshman - 1,367 Points Scotty Dogg (10/19/2013 9:07:00 PM) Post reply

Mike, I'm waiting for my poem with " no feelings and only descriptions" It was due at 8: 00. We need to over this stuff. We're going to write a poem together. Remember?

• Freshman - 1,367 Points Scotty Dogg (10/18/2013 10:43:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Semantics. You're trying to tell someone about how you feel instead of showing them. If you want to 'tell' then write it in an essay. (Having said that, the best essays use some (at least) poetic la ... more

[Hata Bildir]