Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Scotty Dogg Scotty Dogg Male, 44, United States (10/18/2013 10:43:00 PM)

(This massage was posted as a reply to that message)

Semantics. You're trying to tell someone about how you feel instead of showing them. If you want to 'tell' then write it in an essay. (Having said that, the best essays use some (at least) poetic language) Floundering poets never seem to understand the difference between telling and showing.... Talking to someone, or writing ABOUT SOMETHING. Emotions clog up the essence of a poem. Lose it, Man!

I'm going to give you an assignment for tonight. It's due tomorrow evening. Tell me a story, in some kind of poetic form, about something that happened to you. Anything. I want you to describe to me what happened to you. It doesn't matter what happened! YOU MAY NOT TELL ME WHAT YOU FELT WHEN IT HAPPENED. DESCRIBE THE INCIDENT LIKE IT WAS A PHOTOGRAPH OF THE SITUATION. NO FEELINGS ARE ALLOWED. JUST DESCRIPTIONS. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!

I'm serious. This is due at 8: 00 o'clock tomorrow night. After you post it we will discuss your assignment. I'll be here for you. Happy writing!

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Rookie - 919 Points Gulsher John (10/20/2013 3:49:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

Ahha...! splinded Scotty...what a trick u gonna play..
    Showing or telling....reciting or painting (words)
    Difference b/w old and contemporary poetry.
    Words words....it does matter.

Replies for this message:
[Hata Bildir]