Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Jefferson Carter Jefferson Carter Male, 91, United States (10/19/2013 1:56:00 AM)

(This massage was posted as a reply to that message)

PH might consider Buk one of the 10 greatest poets, but that's because this is such a lame siteā€”the opinion of rank amateurs is worthless! I don't know any respectable critic who thinks Buk is a great or even especially good poet. He's not very skilled, and his pose as a working-class hero is both manipulative and tiresome. He IS prolific, but so is an unspayed alley cat.

Don't ever write to please anyone but yourself, the self that is an educated READER., not the self who's a writer. In the heat of composition, judge nothing, but when you revise and shape the material, separate yourself from the author and cast a cold eye on your lines as a demanding reader; you may just write a good poem.

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Rookie - 1st Stage Scotty Dogg (10/19/2013 11:13:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Jeff, are you saying amateurs shouldn't have an opinion about poetry?We're the ones who buy the books. I think our opinion does matter, or at least it's not 'worthless'. Otherwise, poetry would only be for the 1/10,000 of the population. What fun would that be?

Replies for this message:
    • Rookie - 1st Stage Jefferson Carter (10/19/2013 7:22:00 PM) Post reply

No, Scotty, i take it back. See my comment above... I don't have problems with amateurs, meaning, I suppose, those who don't make money from their work. I have problems with the hundreds of " ... more

• Rookie - 1st Stage Mike Acker (10/19/2013 2:31:00 AM) Post reply

well put....The reason I brought up Bukowski is a member, Sherrie Kolb, mentioned him as her favourite of all time. I understood that and when then went to seriously look at her work I was a bit disappointed(when I compared her critique to her actual work) and left honest critiques. They were my emotional and general reaction to what I was reading and not necessarily a literary critique. I have a feeling I may have offended her. I keep coming back to you, Jefferson, because in spite of walking away with a bloodied nose or bruised ego is that that is the only way to learn. I don't want the " lovely poem, made me cry" type critique. It tells me nothing and worse it could be keeping me on a cute but very mediocre level.

[Hata Bildir]