Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Mike Acker Mike Acker Male, 60, Canada (10/21/2013 2:26:00 PM)

(This massage was posted as a reply to that message)

Yes, Master.
I came upon Elizabeth Bishop by way of reading some amazing poetry by James Merrill. I actually enjoyed her poem " The Sandpiper" very much. As a matter of fact I wanted to understand her poem so much that I discovered an excellent site called " poetry genius" which helps interpret unclear parts of poems as they are highlighted for more detailed interpretation or explanation. Once I resolved all that was unclear to me I walked away with even greater appreciation for masterful poetry. Having said all of that I still would prefer that my average reader " get" my message and get it emotionally without having to do all the work I had to and without a certain expectation regarding the reader's education or intellectual level. That is what I dislike about elitism. As you know, Bertholt Brecht decided to go with the masses and even moved to East Germany so he would live as he believed. There is simply a dilemma, that's all.

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Rookie - 72 Points Scotty Dogg (10/21/2013 5:45:00 PM) Post reply
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

All you guys are way too smart for me. Jeez!

• Rookie - 774 Points Lamont Palmer (10/21/2013 3:59:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

If you're reading Merrill, you're reading some of best and strongest poetry to have been written in the mid to late 20th century. Music, imagery, wit, its all abundantly there. -LP

Replies for this message:
    • Rookie - 774 Points Mike Acker (10/21/2013 5:55:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

James Merrill was a tough one to crack. It took me 2 hours just to feel that I have a sense of what he might be talking about in the poem " The Octopus" . Then on top of understanding ther ... more

[Hata Bildir]