Post more comments

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Lamont Palmer Male, 52, United States (10/22/2013 3:44:00 PM)

(This massage was posted as a reply to that message)

One person's 'gracelessness' is another's inventiveness. Apparently Frank heard music too in those first two stanzas or he wouldn't have written it. Thats the best part of the poem. That last stanza is extremely trite; 'Chicken Soup for the Soul material, and not saying anything new.

'We live, we die, and somewhere in between
we'll speak of the many souls in sleep
until we, too, rest beneath morning's dew'

Thats a (high end) Hallmark sentiment. Sweet, but said before. At the very least, I would lose that last stanza. But its Frank's poem. These are all just opinions. -LP

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Lamont Palmer (10/23/2013 10:09:00 AM) Post reply

Your primary flaw (though it may not be one to you) is you often are heavyhanded on the moralizing and sentiment. Remember Auden's quote: 'if a young man wants to become a poet because he has a lot to say, he probably won't make it. But if he wants to see what he can do with words, he has a better chance'. -LP

• Frank James Ryan Jr...fjr (10/22/2013 6:45:00 PM) Post reply

All opinions count or else I would not have posted this poem here...I have since revised the piece...yet there is still missing links...or perhaps links that should not be hooked on to the nexus better known as " my poem" ....My real job continues to keep me from really immersing into poetry the way I would love to...but I will, hopefully soon.You be well, Lamont ~Frank~

[Hata Bildir]