Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Steven Ralph Steven Ralph Male, 44, United States (10/22/2013 4:03:00 PM)

(This massage was posted as a reply to that message)

" Spew" and " stipple" are good in the poem. Keeps the " s" sounds moving up there in the 1st couple of stanzas. Those words reach out grab us. " spew of an incubus" is a little out of character with the rest of the poem, but let's face it, it IS a graveyard. Great Expectations anyone?I like " be" in there too for some reason. The poem is very austere (too much so?) and I think that " be" jerks it back down amongst us commoners. The " Be" be-fitting.

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Frank James Ryan Jr...fjr Rookie - 1st Stage (10/22/2013 7:05:00 PM) Post reply

Thanks Scotty...Opinions and honest feedback are in many cases what enables mediocre verse to transform into good poetry, so long as the author keeps an open mind to the fact that almost any piece of literature can be improved on. John Donne(1625) , who wrote the poem " Death Be Not Proud" , one of his finest works from his publishing titled, " The Holy Sonnets. Donne, then an ordained Bishop, supposedly drafted this piece 101 times before releasing it for public scrutiny, which I also read was not exactly received by a cornucopia of poetic accolades!
    Cheers ~Frank~

[Hata Bildir]