Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Jefferson Carter Jefferson Carter Male, 91, United States (4/16/2014 6:05:00 PM)

Nice list, Lamont! I'm shocked at your modesty, placing yourself only third. That must have taken all the self-restraint you could muster! ! ! !

Alexander Rizzo Male,42, United States (4/16/2014 5: 09: 00 PM)
(This massage was posted as a reply to that message)

OK, heres my quickly scribbled list, based on my own observations during my time here, from reading forums posts and visiting a page or two, for what its worth. in reality, lists are silly. i mean, who's the 'better' poet, auden or eliot?its a silly question. but again, Ovid came close to nailing it. Wannargue with my list?Couldnt care less. Its my opinion, though I'd call it a fairly studied one. In descending order - strongest to weakest, with a couple words of explanation. in the end, its really about who's getting their name in print, so while this is 'fun', it doesn't mean diddly squat.

Danny - whatever you think of form, the guy can do sonnets, villanelles, etc.
Hogg - musical and interesing.
Palmer - musical, inventive without going off a cliff
meta - strong content
Carter - strong content
Dog 8 - inventive, pushes linguistic envelope
Delilah - nice, experimental wordplay
Angie - nice imagery
Acker. -.some ok philosophical moments

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Gulsher John (4/18/2014 11:27:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Alas i'm nowhere, even not amongst the worse....

Replies for this message:
    • Mike Acker (4/19/2014 12:46:00 PM) Post reply

To reply in the most diplomatic and honest way possible..... If I were to read my poetry to a room-full of people, the only opinion that would be of highest importance to me, would be of those who di ... more

• Mike Acker (4/17/2014 3:26:00 PM) Post reply

It's 2014, Palmer. I have a feeling you haven't changed your calendars since 2009.

• Lamont Palmer (4/17/2014 12:36:00 AM) Post reply

Not to mention there have been other lists made over the years. -LP

delilah contrapunctal (3/19/2009 2: 37: 00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Here are the names of some people whose work I have found to be particularly brilliant...in many ways:

Gary Witt
    Tailor Bell
    Nimal Dunuhinga
    Denis Joe
    Jim Hogg
    Jim Crawford
    Robert Charles Howard
    Sandra Fowler
    John Kay
    Sue Anne Simar
    Tomas de Faiote
    Alison Cassidy
    Jerry Hughes
    Don McWilliams
    Lamont Palmer
    Tony Jolley
    Michael Shepherd
    Anna Russell

these are some of the people whose poems I have found to be excellent examples of what hard work, love of language, obviously painstaking craftsmanship and dedication to this doesn't-have-to-be-sullen art can bring forth.... for us all to enjoy and admire....
    I applaud them and thank them for their songs.....I believe their work shows just what using and celebrating one's intrinsic gifts while continually striving to refine one's art can accomplish.......

*more applause*.... and gratitude! !

• Lamont Palmer (4/17/2014 12:30:00 AM) Post reply

Nope, JC, I'm not Rizzo. And anyway, I'm perfectly happy with my placement on Ovid's list. He put me just one notch below you, and said I'd have been higher if not for his preference for free verse. (Actually I do write free verse technically, but I know what he means - verse much freer structurally, and more conversational than my own) . Ovid's list is fair and objective. No need to create a persona to counter an assessment....I rather like. Thanks to both Ovid and Rizzo for recognizing the efforts of the formalists here. Everyone can't be in the short story business. -LP

• Frank Ovid (4/16/2014 6:32:00 PM) Post reply

I'm I the ONLY one who doesn't know who ANYBODY is?Delilah keeps making comments that I don't know who anybody is and she's right. But how would I know?How did you know that Rizzo was Lamont (assuming you're correct) . Is this all a joke and I'm the only one on the outside?

I just talk to the character. It's easier that way.

[Hata Bildir]