Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Jefferson Carter Jefferson Carter Male, 91, United States (6/4/2014 10:47:00 AM)

Guys (and gals) , I know my comment about Maya being a mean drunk was possibly mean; she did have a hellish childhood and was damaged in many ways. I really don't give much weight to a poet's biography though when I read her poems. If they're not very good, they're not very good, and her past pain doesn't change that. I don't want to add to the world's meanness, but I truly despise the media's shoveling horsesh*t about a celebrity they've helped create. She wasn't a saint. She was a damaged, mildly talented poet (haven't read her prose) who became an inspiring role model for many. RIP.

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Professor Plum (6/4/2014 3:19:00 PM) Post reply

I agree.

• Lamont Palmer (6/4/2014 1:51:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

I suppose its safe to say no one's a saint?The media likes to create myths around our cultural icons. Frost being a 'nice, country bumpkin who just happened to write poetry' was another myth. We all have our skeletons, and aspects of our personalities which we don't choose to share with the world. (For all I know, Maya's drinking may have been discussed in her memoirs) . That just makes us human, and, in my opinion, far more interesting. In Maya's case, I'm willing to bet that her 'mean drunk' days had long since been put behind her, sounding more like a youthful or middleaged problem, before she became the celeb she was in the last 25 years. Actually she probably was a much better actress, memoirist and performance artist than she was an actual poet. If she had written truly great poetry, ironically, she wouldn't have been half as famous. -LP

Replies for this message:
    • Alexander Rizzo (6/5/2014 12:36:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

you and carter stop hammering on poor maya; anyone who brings some attention to poetry has done a good thing, capiche

• Jefferson Carter (6/4/2014 4:51:00 PM) Post reply

Lamont, I think the drinking was still going on when she died. My source said she was the worst writer he ever had to deal with. For once though, I agree with you and your last sentence. Try posting t ... more

• Professor Plum (6/4/2014 3:19:00 PM) Post reply

Yes.

[Hata Bildir]