Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Lamont Palmer Male, 52, United States (6/4/2014 1:51:00 PM)

(This massage was posted as a reply to that message)

I suppose its safe to say no one's a saint?The media likes to create myths around our cultural icons. Frost being a 'nice, country bumpkin who just happened to write poetry' was another myth. We all have our skeletons, and aspects of our personalities which we don't choose to share with the world. (For all I know, Maya's drinking may have been discussed in her memoirs) . That just makes us human, and, in my opinion, far more interesting. In Maya's case, I'm willing to bet that her 'mean drunk' days had long since been put behind her, sounding more like a youthful or middleaged problem, before she became the celeb she was in the last 25 years. Actually she probably was a much better actress, memoirist and performance artist than she was an actual poet. If she had written truly great poetry, ironically, she wouldn't have been half as famous. -LP

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Alexander Rizzo (6/5/2014 12:36:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

you and carter stop hammering on poor maya; anyone who brings some attention to poetry has done a good thing, capiche

Replies for this message:

To read all of 2 replies click here
  • Jefferson Carter (6/4/2014 4:51:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Lamont, I think the drinking was still going on when she died. My source said she was the worst writer he ever had to deal with. For once though, I agree with you and your last sentence. Try posting that one up on FB and watch the shit storm hit! We'd never be able to dig you out!

• Professor Plum (6/4/2014 3:19:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Yes.

[Hata Bildir]