Post more comments
Want a gift card for being active Forum member? Post comments and win $25 gift card every week.
Rules:
PoemHunter.com will be giving away Amazon.com gift cards (worth $75 in total) every week to first three members ($25 each) who participate most in our forum discussions. You just have to post comments on forum pages, poet pages or poem pages anywhere inside PoemHunter.com
Comments posted needs to be in different pages. Posting more than 1 comment on the same page will only be counted once.
Members can not post comments without being logged in.
PoemHunter.com has the right to cancel or edit this contest.
PoemHunter.com has a right to disqualify or ban member(s) without providing any type of reason, belief or proof in regards to any type of illegal activity or fraud.

3 Books You Must Have In Your Library

Recommend three books to other Poemhunter members.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Christine Austin Cole Female, 47, United States (7/5/2008 11:36:00 PM)

Just three, huh? Well, the first two are easy - I'll offer, without hesitation, the following:

The Book of Disquiet - Fernando Pessoa (edited/translated by Richard Zenith)
The UNABRIDGED Journals of Sylvia Plath (edited by Karen Kukil)

and... I would be utterly remiss if I did not also note that the above two would be of even greater enjoyment/purpose/context/understanding if coupled with (perhaps among others as well) , the following:

The Selected Prose of Fernando Pessoa (edited/translated by Richard Zenith)
The RESTORED edition of Sylvia Plath's Ariel (w/ foreward by Frieda Hughes)

Technically now, I suppose, I've exceeded 'three' must haves and recognizing the same, I'll stop here. Frankly, I'm happy to do so actually... deciding a third poet's work to recommend would mean having consciously decided not to mention a myriad of others and I just can't bring myself to do that.

Believing it simply impossible to ever have too many books,
Christine

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Stephen West (7/15/2008 7:34:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Christine, Greetings from Africa
    Please read my message about Selected Essays, Samuel Butler
    A long time ago I was an Infant teacher
    An older hand once told me
    Dont teach children to read out of necessity. Reading is like riding a horse. Pleasurable, but totally unnesseccary to get around anywhere.

Dont get me wrong. I even love the printed word on sauce bottles.
    But more books is like more souvenirs of world travel. More to dust and clean and maintain.
    Join a lending library and exercise your memory.

Replies for this message:
    • Christine Austin Cole (7/25/2008 9:52:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hello Stephen - I saw your post previously, actually - and found it interesting. Clearly, it is in opposition to mine with regard to the topic at hand. For the record, I don't think either of us ... more

[Hata Bildir]