Treasure Island

3 Books You Must Have In Your Library

Recommend three books to other Poemhunter members.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Stephen West Male, 68, Gambia (7/15/2008 7:34:00 PM)

(This massage was posted as a reply to that message)

Christine, Greetings from Africa
Please read my message about Selected Essays, Samuel Butler
A long time ago I was an Infant teacher
An older hand once told me
Dont teach children to read out of necessity. Reading is like riding a horse. Pleasurable, but totally unnesseccary to get around anywhere.

Dont get me wrong. I even love the printed word on sauce bottles.
But more books is like more souvenirs of world travel. More to dust and clean and maintain.
Join a lending library and exercise your memory.

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Christine Austin Cole (7/25/2008 9:52:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Hello Stephen -

I saw your post previously, actually - and found it interesting. Clearly, it is in opposition to mine with regard to the topic at hand. For the record, I don't think either of us is right or wrong. We are simply of differing opinions and/or preferences, it seems. For me, books are a necessary. They are to my mind what food is to the body - they nourish me, and without them something is lost.

Honestly, I really don't know that ANY library would want me actually. I have an incurable habit of dog-earing corners, folding pages and what not (I swear some of my books are twice as thick now for my obsession with doing so.) I'd undoubtedly have a few of my favorites in hand if I had to run out of my house because it had caught fire. I really can't even fathom leaving them behind somewhere or letting them go. If I checked a book out of a library, they'd wind up sending me late notice after late notice and eventually sending me a bill for the book(s) I failed to return. I'm sure of it.

PS - I keep a lot of my books in a huge armoire to avoid having to dust them continually. :)

Replies for this message:
    • Stephen West (7/30/2008 8:53:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Thank you for taking the trouble to reply I have said before on this site, if we were all the same life would be boring. At least you seem to treat books as a commodity rather than a deity. If you ... more

[Hata Bildir]