Treasure Island

Music

Share your music taste here and read other visitor’s choices and favorites.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Stephen West Male, 68, Gambia (7/10/2008 12:04:00 PM)

Music Favourites.
Classical~
Anything by Verdi, almost anything by Mahler, some Beethoven and bits of Mozart, oh yes, and that guy who did 'Jesus' blood never failed me yet'
Rock and Roll~
I am going to show my age. Jerry Lee, Gene Vincent, Buddy Holly, Eddie Cochran, Johnny Kidd, Little Richard, The Everlys, Chuck Berry. I have seen every one of them at least once live on stage, and some are no longer with us. Elvis when he was tenor and good.
Other 50's
Judy Garland, Buddy Greco, some Sinatra and Tony Bennet
60's.
Most Stones, some Beatles, bits of Zombies, Kinks and Amen Corner, oh yes, and Billy Fury
70's and 80's
Queen, Bowie, Ian Drury (the banana poet of my generation) , The Sex Pistols (for their nerve and the damage they did to things worth damaging)
Chanteurs.
Shirley Bassey, Charles Aznavour, Edith Piaf and Gilbert Becoud.
Folk.
The Furies (and david Arthur)
Country.
Johnny Cash, Dolly Parton, John Hyatt (am I the only person in the country with TWO of his albums?
Blues.
Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters, Buddy Guy, Sonny Boy Williamson and John Lee Hooker and I saw all of them live too.
Comic.
Stanley Hollaway and Marriot Edgar. (Don't ignore history! See Edgar's page on this site.) Stan Freberg.
Shows.
Les Mis, Mama Mia, Blood Brothers, West Side Story.
One hit wonders that I thought were going to make it.
Fox, Eden Kane.
Recent Stuff.
Celine Dion is not bad, and there is some good collaboration work coming out of West Africa with Youssou N'Dour and Baba Mal
Hates.
Most of Rod Stewart and Bob Dylan, all of the Bay City Rollers, Barbara Streisand, Cher, Partridge Family and Jethro Tull, Pat Boone, all Rap and most Reggae except Johnny Nash and do not try to persuade me any different!
Wot, No Jazz?
Well Stephane Grappelli, Django Reinhard and the Hot Club of Paris just make it.

......and they say manners (or clothes) maketh the man..........
when really it is the record collection (or the bookcase) .
ps
A long time ago in a Birmingham hotel I got raving drunk with Gene Vincent who introduced me to Southern Comfort, (the drink, not Matthew's band!) That is as good a reason as any to remember a man is it not?

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Greenwolfe 1962 (7/13/2008 4:25:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

You are what I refer to as, 'A MUSIC FAN'.

• Stephen West (7/15/2008 3:01:00 PM) Post reply

Oh I meant time, not speed!

• Stephen West (7/15/2008 3:00:00 PM) Post reply

Hi Greenwolfe 1962, I have just flipped through some of your copious mail. Dont know who you are yet, or even what? I get up to speed when I have the time.......do you have plenty? But thanks f ... more

• Not a member No 3 (7/11/2008 4:27:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

A very eclectic mix - loads of entertaining stuff here. Interesting encounter too! Yet what stood out most for me was finding Dylan and the Bay City Rollers side by side.... wide eyed, amazed.. and yet, I used to listen to the BCR too when courting - - - eh.. a couple of years ago - and have name-checked them in a couple of my songs. Thanks Stephen.

• Stephen West (7/15/2008 2:47:00 PM) Post reply

Jim Hogg 88 female was a surprise, or a nom de plume! , (and courting when you were 50.) What's right with Dylan is most of his lyrics, What's wrong with Dylan is his abysmal performance of them, ... more

[Hata Bildir]