• Poemhunter Moderator (10/11/2014 2:50:00 AM) Post reply
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

Tucson Festival of Books
    Literary Awards
    Deadline: October 18,2014
    Entry Fee: $20
    E-mail address: masters@tucsonfestivalofbooks.org
    Three prizes of $1,000 each are given annually for a group of five poems, a short story, and an essay, or an excerpt from a novel or memoir. Each winner will also be invited to take part in a panel discussion at the Tucson Festival of Books, and attend a workshop on the University of Arizona campus in March 2015. Using the online submission system, submit five poems of any length or up to 5,000 words of prose with a $20 entry fee by October 18. E-mail or visit the website for complete guidelines.

Tucson Festival of Books, Literary Awards, P.O. Box 85394, Tucson, AZ 85754. Meg Files, Contact.

• Poemhunter Moderator (10/11/2014 2:50:00 AM) Post reply

Flipped Eye Publishing
    Venture Award
    Deadline: October 17,2014
    Entry Fee: $34
    E-mail address: venture@flippedeye.net
    A prize of £1,000 (approximately $1,680) and publication by Flipped Eye Publishing will be given annually for a poetry chapbook. Tara Betts will judge. Submit a manuscript of up to 15 pages via e-mail with a £20 (approximately $34) entry fee by October 17. Visit the website for complete guidelines.

Flipped Eye Publishing, Venture Award, P.O. Box 43771, London W14 8ZY, United Kingdom.

• Poemhunter Moderator (10/11/2014 2:49:00 AM) Post reply

Comstock Review
    Chapbook Contest
    Deadline: October 15,2014
    Entry Fee: $30
    E-mail address: poetry@comstockreview.org
    A prize of $1,000, publication by Comstock Writers Group, and 50 author copies will be given biennially for a poetry chapbook. The editors will judge. Submit a manuscript of 25 to 34 pages with a $30 entry fee, which includes a copy of the winning chapbook, by October 15. Visit the website for complete guidelines.

Comstock Review, Chapbook Contest,4956 St. John Drive, Syracuse, NY 13215. Betsy Anderson and Michael A. Sickler, Managing Editors.

• Poemhunter Moderator (10/11/2014 2:49:00 AM) Post reply

Silverfish Review Press
    Gerald Cable Book Award
    Entry Fee: $25
    E-mail address: sfrpress@earthlink.net
    A prize of $1,000, publication by Silverfish Review Press, and 25 author copies is given annually for a first poetry collection. Dorianne Laux will judge. Poets who have not published a full-length poetry collection may submit a manuscript of at least 48 pages with a $25 entry fee, which includes a copy of the winning book, by October 15. All entries are considered for publication. Send an SASE, e-mail, or visit the website for complete guidelines.

Silverfish Review Press, Gerald Cable Book Award, P.O. Box 3541, Eugene, OR 97403. (541) 344-5060. Rodger Moody, Series Editor.

• Poemhunter Moderator (10/11/2014 2:48:00 AM) Post reply

Los Angeles Review
    Wild Light Poetry Contest
    A prize of $1,000 and publication in Los Angeles Review is given annually for a poem. Brendan Constantine will judge. Submit up to three poems of no more than 200 lines each with a $25 entry fee by October 15. Call or visit the website for complete guidelines.

Los Angeles Review, Wild Light Poetry Contest, c/o Red Hen Press, P.O. Box 40820, Pasadena, CA 91114. (626) 356-4760. Kate Gale, Editor.

National Federation of State Poetry Societies
    Stevens Poetry Manuscript Competition
    A prize of $1,000, publication by National Federation of State Poetry Societies Press, and 50 author copies is given annually for a poetry collection. Submit a manuscript of 48 to 70 pages with a $25 entry fee ($20 for National Federation of State Poetry Societies members) by October 15. Send an SASE or visit the website for complete guidelines.

National Federation of State Poetry Societies, Stevens Poetry Manuscript Competition,3520 State Road 56, Mechanicsburg, OH 43044. Amy Jo Zook, Chair.

Amy Lowell Poetry Traveling Scholarship
    Amy Lowell Poetry Traveling Scholarship
    An award of approximately $54,000 is given annually to a U.S. poet for a year of travel and study abroad. Submit two copies of either 40 pages of poetry or a published book and 20 pages of poetry, two copies of a curriculum vitae, and two copies of the required entry form by October 15. There is no entry fee. Visit the website for the required entry form and complete guidelines.
    Amy Lowell Poetry Traveling Scholarship, c/o Laura Reidy, Choate, Hall & Stewart,2 International Place, Boston, MA 02110.

• Rookie - 55 Points Joan Averso (10/10/2014 6:59:00 PM) Post reply

The Lines on My Face By Joan Averso

As I look in the mirror and see the lines on my face
    I'm realizing old age isn't so easy to embrace.
    Where is that younger woman I used to know?
    Oh my goodness gracious where did she go?
    Another day and another grey hair is on my head.
    I'm not liking that too much so I'll dye it instead.
    I buy so many creams that never ever work,
    but I keep on getting them like a big jerk.
    As you get older it's harder to shed those pounds
    and your body starts making all sorts of sounds!
    Moans and groans and your stomach is growling.
    You start to sound like a lone wolf howling!
    Your eyesight starts to go and so does your hearing.
    Now that doesn't sound all that endearing.
    Aches and pains and some arthritis too,
    what's an aging person supposed to do?
    Your memory isn't as sharp as it used to be.
    I forgot what I was writing about, there you see.
    We're all like machines that will get old and broken down.
    Just continue to smile because there's no need to frown.
    Consider yourself Blessed to reach those golden years.
    Be positive, stay strong, and tuck away those fears.
    So while you're aging do it with dignity and grace
    and never you mind about those lines on your face!

• Poemhunter Moderator (10/10/2014 9:38:00 AM) Post reply

The 2014 National Poetry Competition

This year the judges are Glyn Maxwell, Roddy Lumsden and Zoë Skoulding and the prizes are £5,000 for the overall winner, £2,000 for the second, £1,000 for the third, with seven commendations of £100. The top three winners are also published in the Poetry Society's leading international journal, The Poetry Review. The deadline is 31 October and you can enter online now or download an entry form from the Poetry Society website.
    Since its launch in 1978, the Poetry Society’s National Poetry Competition has marked a milestone in the careers of many of today’s leading poets. Previous winners include Philip Gross, Jo Shapcott, Tony Harrison, and the Poet Laureate, Carol Ann Duffy.

• Poemhunter Moderator (10/10/2014 9:37:00 AM) Post reply

RHINO Poetry 2015 Founder’s Prize

1st Prize - 1 winner will receive $300 and publication in the 2015 issue.
    2nd Prize - 2 runners-up will receive $50 and publication in the 2015 issue.
    The poems selected will be posted to our website. Send up to 5 unpublished poems (no more than 5 pages total) .
    GUIDELINES
    Submission Dates: September 1 - October 31 — MUST BE POSTMARKED OR TIMESTAMPED.
    $10 Entry Fee.
    Submissions must include a cover letter listing your name, address, email address and/or telephone number as well as titles of the poems.
    No identifying information should be on the poems.
    Manuscripts will not be returned.
    If mailing, include a SASE for notification of each.
    Label your contest submission: “Founders’ Contest.”
    All contest submissions will also be considered for regular publication in the 2015 edition of RHINO.
    Winner and runners-up will be announced on our website: www.rhinopoetry.org

MAILING ADDRESS
    RHINO, The Poetry Forum
    P.O. Box 591
    Evanston, IL 60204
    E-SUBMISSIONS www.rhinopoetry.org

[Hata Bildir]