Treasure Island

Poet's Introductions

Post a message
  • Tiffany Roldan (1/13/2014 7:19:00 AM) Post reply Stage

I write as I am. I do not lie on my works, but create them. I do not assume, I imagine. Take your freedom to wander through my poems. Keep me learning, too.

• Adrian Dupree (1/12/2014 5:07:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Hello all. Recently became involved with poetry and have much enthusiasm for the art! Majority of my poetry with be centered around, I guess, the more depressing side of life if you will and life experiences. Open to any and all criticism.

• Femme Feeble (1/11/2014 11:26:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

I have no idea what I am doing. No experience in anything ever. Any suggestions at all are extremely helpful.

Replies for this message:
  • Jack Growden (1/11/2014 12:36:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Please feel free to read my recently updated collection, and rate and comment as you wish. It would be greatly appreciated, Jack Growden.

• Daniel Brick (1/9/2014 2:21:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Hello, Fellow Poets, I am delighted to join all of you at this wonderful GLOBAL center where we can share our poems and our enthusiasm for poetry. We must never forget we are readers of poetry as well as writers: it's not enough that we encourage others to read and comment on our poems, we must also read and comment on their poems. I am committing myself to reading and commenting on at least one poem per day! I started reading poetry when I was ten years old. For some reason I cannot explain, I was determined to discover the meaning of Poe's " The Raven" . So I re-read it many times until I could visualize the speaker and the raven, the room and the night outside, and then I wrote my reaction to Poe's dreamy eloquence. Later, as a sophomore in high school, I had a brilliant teacher, Wally Kurtz, who showed me how to interpret a poem, any poem, every poem (I owe him so much - a debt I repay by my commitment to poetry) . I began writing my own poems seriously in 1983 when I was 36. My first attempts were atrocious, they were sprawling, unfocused, self-indulgent: I was a ruthless critic of my own efforts! I took four poetry courses at a local writing institute called the Loft, and learned valuable lessons from the poets who were my teachers. Gradually, I developed my view of poetry. First, a poem is made with images, not ideas, not feelings. Imagery is the key component of every good poem, and it often swells into figurative language which enhances a poem. Second, acquiring a voice makes a writer a poet; voice involves word choice, rhythm and rhyme, free verse, poetic tools like simile/metaphor, personification, persona, stanza formats, etc. By experimenting with these tools of the trade, I acquired a voice which I recognize and trust. It literally speaks for me, and it is much more colorful, exciting, truthful, eloquent than my everyday voices which are impulsive, lazy, complacent, weak. Third, Poetry is often seen as the product of Inspiration, that is, when a poem seems to write itself, and the writer feels carried along as every word falls into place and the finished composition is totally satisfying. When such inspired writing happens, I am grateful, but I don't wait for it. My view now is that poetry is a craft which we practice through reading, writing rough drafts, revising and then further revising, and then sharing with a trusted fellow poet. That is the Life of Poetry. Fourth, poems are meant to be shared, they're a form of communication, they need an audience. However, in my experience, many people, dear friends and relatives, just aren't interested, in fact, they seem somewhat embarrassed to have to listen to me read a recent poem. Or they listen politely and then say NOTHING. That's why we need a site like PoemHunter so that we can be that appreciative and responsive audience every poet wants and needs. I am looking forward to this vital and rewarding exchange! We are the Poets of this Generation! Let our Poems flourish!

• Anish Chouhan (1/8/2014 4:59:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Hi I am Anish from Maharashtra, India... I have a small hobby of writing poems.. Only thing i need is motivation to write more and more.

• Laiakini Waqanisau (1/7/2014 12:55:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Hi there, I started posting poems on poem hunter. Its great to read your poems and receive your comments. To date I've written 7 poems and will continue to pursue poetry with you fellow poets. Thank you

• Lydia Alvana (1/6/2014 2:19:00 PM) Post reply Stage

hello, i'm Alvana. writing has been my passion from time immemorial.
    i'm happy to have joined this site
    and i hope to read and write spectacular poems here
    thanks for your acceptance

• Jack Growden (1/6/2014 12:59:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Please feel free to read my recently updated collection, and rate and comment as you wish. It would be greatly appreciated, Jack Growden.

• D.v. Stasio (1/4/2014 1:59:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Hi all. New to this site.
    Been writting for years!
    Thought I'd try a new place to post them.

[Hata Bildir]