Treasure Island

Poet's Introductions

Post a message
  • Godfrey Morris Rookie - 1st Stage (6/14/2012 8:06:00 AM) Post reply

Hello poetry World, I am inviting you to view my latest poems, most recent being " Seek and Find"

Thank you/Gracias/Merci

• William Marion Rookie - 1st Stage (6/13/2012 1:56:00 PM) Post reply

Hello everyone im new to this site and new to poetry as well. I have lots of questions on how this site works and about how to navigate the site and use it in the most convenient way possible. Anyones suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I also wanted to know if My real name appears on all my posts and submissions or if writing an alias at the end of everything is just a waste of time.

• Oludipe Oyin Samuel Rookie - 1st Stage (6/12/2012 1:02:00 PM) Post reply

Hello comrades. I just experienced the genuine smear of poetry right here and I'm motivat'd. May I invite you to scan through my poetry and do some literary appreciation. Your words will help me... A LOT! . Thank you v.much.
    Rgrds
    Samuel

• Graeme Williams Rookie - 1st Stage (6/11/2012 4:13:00 PM) Post reply

Hello, I've recently got into writing poetry. At the moment I'm tending to explore different forms rather than settling on a particular style, and I have discovered that I enjoy the discipline of working within a particular form.

I have just uploaded a short poem I recently wrote and hope to add more in the near future.

Regards,

Graeme

• Thei Htut Rookie - 1st Stage (6/11/2012 6:41:00 AM) Post reply

Myanmar, a Southeast Asian country that was formerly known as Burma, has been under military rule in one form or another since 1962, when General Ne Win staged a coup that toppled a civilian government. The current junta, formed in 1988, threw out the results of a democratic parliamentary election in 1990 that was overwhelmingly won by the party led by Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, the winner of the 1991 Nobel Peace Prize and the daughter of Aung San, one of the heroes of the nation’s independence from the British Empire in 1948. For 15 years, Ms. Aung San Suu Kyi was placed under house arrest.
    After years of stagnation, change is coming to Myanmar at a rapid pace, though still on the military’s terms. Nonetheless, there is hope that the country is veering away from authoritarianism and Soviet-style economic management that has left the majority of the country’s 55 million people in dire poverty.
    Burma, which has a total area of 678,500 square kilometres (262,000 sq mi) , is the largest country in mainland Southeast Asia, and the 40th-largest in the world
    Much of the country lies between the Tropic of Cancer and the Equator. It lies in the monsoon region of Asia, with its coastal regions receiving over 5,000 mm (196.9 in) of rain annually.
    The country's slow economic growth has contributed to the preservation of much of its environment and ecosystems.
    Human rights in Burma are a long-standing concern for the international community and human rights organizations. Members of the United Nations and major international human rights organizations have issued repeated and consistent reports of widespread and systematic human rights violations in Burma.
    Now about poetry of Myanmar...........! In his opening lines to a 1976 article on hidden meaning in poetry, Mya Ketu (pen name of U Chan Mya, a former professor at the Mandalay Arts and Science University) writes that as there are secret matters in life so too there are secrecies in poetic literature. “However, ” he goes on, “The secrets in poems are unlike the secrets of hidden crimes; they are merely furtive.”
    Mya Ketu either wasn’t thinking very hard or, more likely, was trying not to. There are innumerable examples from around the world of poets condemned for crossing the ambiguous line between furtivesecrecies and criminal laws, from Ovid to Oscar Wilde, Marcos Ana to Vaclav Havel. Mya Ketu was himself writing under a government which considered anything contrary to its economic and political program to be offensive, and must have known about banned poems and authors.
    In the three decades since, things have gone from bad to worse and the game of hide and seek between Myanmar’s writers and their censors has continued.
    Apparently, poets embed messages in seemingly innocuous texts, as did poet Saw Wai:

he (or someone) deliberately wrote what roughly translates as “Pow-er cra-zy Gene-ral Than Shwe” into the opening syllables to each line of the short poem, although it is plausible that the magazine editordidn’t notice the covert message in the rush to meet his deadline. That the piece was written for Valentine’s Day and was released in an entertainment weekly called Love Journal only adds to its delicious irony.
    Here you can find about Myanmar Poem (theihtutwin.com.) great and awesome poetry I love poetry [3

• Iquo Umoh Rookie - 1st Stage (6/9/2012 7:02:00 AM) Post reply

hello all my name is Iquo Umoh. I have been away for a while but now am back in full force.

• Logan Arnold Rookie - 1st Stage (6/8/2012 2:03:00 PM) Post reply

Hello all. My name is Logan Arnold and I would like for you to read some of my poetry and comment on it if you feel propelled to do so. I will likely do the same. Thank you and have a full day.

http://www.poemhunter.com/logan-arnold/

• Elron Cho Rookie - 1st Stage (6/6/2012 3:30:00 AM) Post reply

Hi, i'm new here and i'll be posting the rest of the poems I've written here soon. Any feedback or criticism is most welcome :)

• Cierrah Smiles Rookie - 1st Stage (6/5/2012 11:15:00 PM) Post reply

HEY! ! ! will you please read my poems! ! ! !

• Gene Richards Rookie - 1st Stage (6/4/2012 3:56:00 PM) Post reply

I'm another new member. I failed English at school and have try to teach myself better spelling and grammar as I go through life. Somewhere down the line, I fell in love with the language, its literature and its poetry.

Sometimes a ditty or two springs forth and it's great to have a place to place them.

As with everyone else, I would love some feedback on them and suggestions to improve. :)

[Hata Bildir]