Other Forms of Creative Writing

Share and discuss about other forms of creative writing: memoir, playwriting, short story, songwriting, ... etc
Post a message

• Gold Star - 14,487 Points Gangadharan Nair Pulingat (11/18/2014 9:01:00 AM) Post reply
    1 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

Play writing and drama theaters are a great source of theater facility to show plays in right directions to make people aware of the world situations. But some home importance of dramas and theater activities are showing a decline on several factors. Rejuvenating the play writing, dramas acting, is essential in the larger interest of literary field and to the world itself. It is an essential tool to give right directions to human mind particularly the younger generations for social outlook in right spirits and fighting out superstitions and make forward of the world in better creative ways. May we expect good plays writing by writers in the coming years and negative tendencies of thoughts wiped out from the world for a good and peaceful society and getting themselves the right signals of life tools.

• Freshman - 1,248 Points Clarence Prince (11/14/2014 11:03:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

A Story About: Dover Hatfield

Long ago there was this couple – their names were Harry and Mary Hatfield. After marriage – just like any other couple they were hopeful of many things – but their main hope was to have children. They had anticipated getting four or five. Sadly, most unfortunate for them – getting children was a problem. They had tried very hard and they spent few years – working on getting children. Lamentable, their hope for children was never completely accomplished.

Even though – Harry and Mary, in the early years of marriage, had taken all the necessary steps to produce children. For them, it remained for many years a problem. However, God can do all things. Listen to what happened! Blessing from above seemed to have fallen upon them. At the very age when they had almost given up – they were blessed with a little girl. This baby was the love of their lives. They called her Dover. Well, little Dover, she was like a light in their eyes. She was also seen as a miracle to the people of the village.

There wasn’t another baby around to compare with her. She was so beautiful – her parents idolized her. They gave her all their love – which should have shared for four or five children – as at first, was anticipated. Seeing as, Harry and Mary in the beginning – were hoping for four or five children. Anyway – having a nanny was a must for little Dover. They found her one called Lucy. This Lucy was a very lovely Australian woman. She fell in love with the child – a first sight.

Right away, Lucy began to care for Dover, as if she was her own child. Dover grew more day-by-day. She had been a beautiful – healthy baby from birth. “She was also easy to nurse, ” said Lucy. When she was just six-years-old, her parents found her a chauffeur. He too was an Australian. His name was Ruddy. He didn’t know Lucy prior to having the job with the Hatfield’s. Ruddy’s main job was to take Dover and Lucy – wherever they would need to go.

Mostly he would only be required to take them, to fetch ice cream and candy. There were some other times – when he would be required to take them to the zoo – other times to the park. All the same – Ruddy was quite nice – and he didn’t mind doing his job. The truth is – he too fell for Dover – and he also took her – as if she was his own child as well. Dover’s parents, Harry and Mary, they were very happy. Their love grew deeper for their child daily. The entire village showed great likeness towards that little girl.

Moreover some of the villagers – they named her queen of the village. “Queen Dover, ” they’d say, at times when referring to her. This Dover though – as she grew – she developed weaknesses – and one of her weakness was her love for creepy creatures. This you would never guess – she made frogs her favorite. She always loved watching frogs – swimming in the pond at the park. One day she considered – having a little pond of her own. This pond was to be placed – in the middle of their back garden.

It was a very large garden they had. She mentioned having the pond to her father, Harry. He thought of it as a good idea. The following day Harry went looking for contractors – to do the job. They were quite easy to find, due to job shortage. Within a week or two the job was done. There was the pond in the middle of the garden. It made Dover happier than ever. She gave much thanks to her father for it.

Before long she had one end organized. Where she had placed, water plants and weeds etc; her idea was to keep a part of the pond as cool as possible. She needed to start breeding frogs. The following week she asked to be taken shopping, at the pets shop into the town. It was a little way from the village, in which they lived. The time came for Dover to get herself a pair of frogs for her garden pond. Ruddy got the car ready – and in they went to the pets shop. As soon as the car was safely parked – they got out of it.

They walked to the shop’s door – Ruddy opened the door for Dover. They went in - the bell rang. In came the lady that owned the pets shop. “Can I help you, ” she asked. “Yes please! I’m looking for a pair of frogs, for my garden pond, ” said Dover. “Oh! Lucky you, only yesterday we’ve had some imports from Africa, which they reckoned can jump up to three feet. Yet, they are just seven dollars per pair.” Said the lady of the shop. “Thank you! Since they are that cheap I’ll take six of the loveliest ones, ” said Dover.

She brought three of each – three males and three females. And then, they walked out with those African frogs. Ruddy was very pleased; he knew that Dover had a good bargain. They hurried back to the car. He drove fast back home. He parked the car safely. They got out of it and rushed to the pond and released the frogs in it. Oh! It was great to watch those African frogs swim. The frogs raced straight to the cooler end of the pond. Right to where Dover had organized it, with those plants and weeds.

Well, as soon as the frogs had settled in – Dover shouted “Ma’am – Da’ad come and see quickly.” Harry and Mary were thrilled with what they had seen. “How many have you bought?” asked Mary. “Six I’ve counted, ” said Harry. “Because they were so cheap I bought six. Aren’t they just lovely, ” asked Dover, with a great smile on her face. “Lovely! Lovely! Oh! That’s not the word. We thought that they are utterly wonderful, ” said Harry and Mary. It was about mid-day –so they threw some frog-feed in the pond.

They went inside the house to watch a film. Later in the evening they decided to go and check on the frogs; also, to cool off their feet into the water. There was a big surprise – almost the whole pond was littered with bubbles – blown by the frogs. It was a sure beauty. Dover was delighted. The family and friends were quite happy. This pond with the frogs, it caused Dover to inherit few more friends. The neighbors’ children went to the pond regularly. They went there mainly to see those frogs – and the bubbles all over the water.

It was giving them some sort of thrills. Those frogs were good for the pond – and for the bugs of the garden – but they didn’t breed much. Even so – after a couple of years – there were a few more swimming about the pond. They kept Dover happy. Of course, happiness hardly stays forever. One day while Dover was in the garden picking flowers – something very sad happened. Her mother Mary suddenly passed away. Dover was then, just eighteen-years old. Ruddy and Lucy had already long gone back to Australia.

This just left Dover and her father at their home, with: Brooks the dog, Brindle the cat, and a pair of talking-parrots. In addition, there was still the pond, and frogs in the garden. Dover stayed at home with her father until she was twenty-four-years old. Then, her father, Harry also passed away suddenly. That happened a month after Dover’s 24th birthday. Now, this would be the first time that, she was going to be alone. Nonetheless, it wasn’t going to be for very long.

In the space of say, ten months – she met a man – whom she later married – his name was Weenty. He was a man who played all sorts of music – but for playing the guitar – he was a master at it. The place from where Weenty came was called plenty. He wrote a song for Dover to that end. Entitled: ”A myth” It goes as follows – here it is.
    “A myth”
    I’m weenty from plenty,
    I left there at twenty,
    A myth a myth a myth,
    Not many fools live there,
    I can clearly declare,
    A myth a myth a myth,
    If you get to know weenty,
    You’ll surely know plenty,
    A myth a myth a myth,
    Just a little myth,
    That song was played at their wedding party – and who knows where else since?They lived a childless couple. They were always out and about. They traveled all over – from one place to another. That couple their happiness was priority in their lives and no one could ever blame them?However, is happiness a great gift or will it be continued?No! Not always. One day, Weenty and Dover went out camping, it was into the woods, far away from home. And, up until this day – no one ever saw them again.

Everyone wondered over them. What might have happened to them, contemplated the people?Everyone was speculating, about what might’ve happened to that couple. Yet no one has ever found out. What do you think?Your guess is as good as any. It’s a mystery. Is it not?Or, in truth! Did Dover or Weenty ever really exist?What! The story is told. Do you not consider the song: A myth a myth a myth. Shouldn’t that completes the story – and put everyone’s mind at rest?Yes, it should. Very well! That tells you what a fiction story is like.

Replies for this message:
    • Freshman - 1,248 Points Gangadharan Nair Pulingat (11/18/2014 9:16:00 AM) Post reply

IA beautiful story is told and it is enjoyed till the end. But the unfortunate events and the mysterious disappearance of the couple was so sad to read. What happened to them a myth a myth a myth. ... more

• Gold Star - 14,487 Points Gangadharan Nair Pulingat (10/4/2014 10:41:00 AM) Post reply

Big novels nowadays not so much interested by the people not on account of pages but on account of limited time schedule available to them since life is busy. However people are interested small novels and short stories that can be easily readable even in transit journeys. Then a question arises. Reading for what. The literary texts are the best performers to change the human mindset with lot of creativity and selfless thoughts and giving such correct imaginative talents and nice mindset to face the world. So literary texts and short story books and small novels have a place in reader's minds and I think these items have to get importance in publications.

• Gold Star - 14,487 Points Gangadharan Nair Pulingat (9/9/2014 10:36:00 AM) Post reply

In literary works short story has an important roll to play. Short stories as the title itself represents are short in write ups but always have a message to tell the readers. Short stories are wonderfully written well known story writers and I had some experiences of reading short stories which I felt very beautiful.

• Gold Star - 12,431 Points Mohammad Skati (9/6/2014 3:18:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I love all other forms of creative writings, so I write tales, short stories, ...., ...., just to feel that great love for these things.

• Rookie - 606 Points Hannah Bp (8/29/2014 6:43:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I enjoy songwriting and writing short stories [along with poetry]. Writing short stories comes to me more easily than songwriting though.

• Gold Star - 12,431 Points Mohammad Skati (8/23/2014 3:28:00 PM) Post reply

The pretty sea swims in its waters, It combs its waves to make them curled, It evaporates, then clouds are made over its head, ............... This is the pretty sea in its beauty and even in its moodiness........................... ???? ????? ?? ???? - ???? ?????? ??????? ????? - ????? ????? ????? ????? ??? ???? - ??? ?? ????? ?? ????? ? ??? ?? ???????...

• Gold Star - 12,431 Points Mohammad Skati (8/22/2014 4:39:00 AM) Post reply

There a lot of free websites for writing stories, novels, short stories, poetry, ......................., so please check these websites like Figment. Thanks.

• Gold Star - 14,487 Points Gangadharan Nair Pulingat (6/28/2014 10:47:00 AM) Post reply

A poet is not an isolated personality. He is a person of the community and such social obligations. And participating in debates, writing essays and articles of social relevance is a good thing to an individual for making the world more beautiful through valued ideas and objections to the injustices, and go through the world events that I feel.

• Rookie - 69 Points Manauwer Raza (4/26/2014 1:11:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Happiness is in the Detail:

For most of my life, people have been telling me that it’s all about the big picture. It was only very recently that I realized that they were all wrong.
    You see, big pictures are made up of a thousand details and if you ignore them, you ignore life. Life is but a very beautiful picture, if we take up all these small details and wind them up in our frame.

Often, we focus on the destination or the outcome and fail to take care of the detail.
    It’s like spending your time dreaming of that lifetime vacation without ever having a plan of how you are going to get there. A vacation where you walk beside the most beautiful person, you ever knew, talking to him/her, sharing these little details and speaking up your mind. Its when, the sun shines down your legs, there is a little perspiring drop on your neck, but you care not to wipe it, for you are so lost in these small talks, sharing the vacation of a lifetime.

AND HAPPINESS, it’s more profound than that.

It was this day that I realized, the mere meaning of my happiness.
    An early prayer of SALAT, devoted to the Almighty, when the sky was about to get crimson, and the twilight just fade. Looking up to the skies, a swift breeze touched my face and there wast his smile on my face. I thought back of a sweetheart and a simple reminder of her beautiful words, " TUM AISE HI NAH RAH SAKTE" made me smile to my fullest.
    I left my apartment in the morning much happier, I had seen the bright, crazy and beautiful smile of my roommate IRFAN. But the profound realization was that sometimes I left too early and missed his inspiring smile. No, it was the realization that the space that would have been filled with sadness was now filled with happiness and joy.

This started me on a simple task: to make a list of the things that make me happy and the things I could achieve this day to bring in the passion and excitement to my life.
    It was on this list that I found my smile - but also some fruit juice in my breakfast menu! ! !

And saying, “I love you forever, ” on the phone to my mum and hear her choke up a little because she never expects me calling her frequently and a note such as this, something far more unexpected.
    Hearing her say back to me that I will always be her little boy and how she remembers putting an extra spoon of sugar in my bowl of milk. You can only imagine, the gust of emotions I would have felt, missing her, hundred miles apart from home.

What else did I find on that list?
    Recognition, feeling worthy, making progress, loving and being loved. Saying " Thank You" , whenever possible, never having to say " Sorry" .
    Those are more complex details but nonetheless, they are details in the big picture of HAPPINESS.

I left my room, in search of this HAPPINESS and found it was just waiting outside, in people, who are too involved in their lives, that they don't get the time to celebrate their existence. So, I started a small campaign that at least, this day I would share my HUGs to them, who are in need of them. Starting with acquaintances, my downstairs fruit vendor, a little further, the ever smiling Biryani seller, and DHARAM Bhai, whose PARATHE makes up for most of my breakfast menu.
    There was this certain realization that each and every HUG that I gave, brought me more close to ME, and HAPPINESS, " YES" , I was feeling it, in them, in their eyes, in their smiles.

A couple of hour walk, found me roaming the busy streets of JULENA, and me searching hope in everyone, A small girl walking past me with her pony tail, the old man waiting at the bus stop and adjusting what were the last of his hairs on his head. A cyclist, whistling, and lost in his own little world, Oh yes! ! ! I was searching for this. Searching for the smallest details, which I always missed.
    I came back room and worked on the list and wasn't really able to make anything out of it. But I tried and found FLOWERS and CHOCOLATES are one of them things, bringing you the perfect sense of HAPPINESS.

Just as planned, I went to the FLORIST and bought me, a couple of bouquet, fresh crimson rose and the lilac blooming flowers, with I don't know what leaves, I had them. And waited outside HOLY FAMILY Hospital, just to buy me few more of smiles. And I waited. A couple of minute wait had me an elderly couple waiting on me and I knew they were happy; the gleam in their eyes was worth every anticipation. I handed over them the bouquet and in return got a blessing of a lifelong and healthy life. I never knew, flowers would bought me such blessings, HAPPINESS was in a combo pack today (:

The next I remember me, was in JAMIA college where I met, endearing SANA Appi, ever smiling VIBHA Ji and the girl with the most beautiful eyes KHUSHBOO. I tried to work on my list again and handed over them their share of happiness in the form of chocolates. And man, they were happy. So was I.

So far, my list has over six things on it that make me happy but the list is still growing.
    The list of things that make me sad or anxious is shorter because most of them would be the absence of what makes me happy so there’s no point in listing them out.

And my list took me to the next place: to ensure that every single day, I was focused on the detail of happiness, adding those moments in increasing quantity to my life.
    Then, subtracting the details that make me sad or anxious. And that means never missing the infectious smile on my face in the morning - even if I am late for me meeting me.

This doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t step back once in a while to survey the horizon.
    But when we think about all the things we should be thankful for, we cannot miss the reality that they are all details.

Just as the devil is in the detail, so too is joy and happiness. If you take care of the details, the big picture will take care of itself.

[Hata Bildir]