And the Room was Filled with Hats
Old hats new hats,
short hats, tall hats,
red hats blue hats,
big hats, small hats.
Hats on sticks,
hats on chairs,
hats and music everywhere.
And the little ones dusted
the hats on the chairs,
the hats on the blankets,
the hats on the stairs.
And the parents looked silly
in the nicest sort of way
as they rolled on the floor
while the Klezmer music played.
And I danced and I smiled
and I wore a bright mask
of Chaplinesque lunacy
and Tommy Cooper class.
Cos my heart was a thumping
and my stomach was a knot.
My mind was a racing
and it kinda hurt a lot.
But the world keeps turning
and the dancers keep dancing
and the poems keep churning
and the music keeps prancing.
And I sorta kinda know
that we'll both be OK.
That we’ll live and love and lust a lot
and kiss our cares away.
Alison Cassidy's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (And the Room was Filled with Hats by Alison Cassidy )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- A Homage To The Freedom Fighters Of India, Raja Basu
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Red, Red Rose, Robert Burns
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Tonight I can write the saddest lines, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- Travels On An Ox-Chart, Margaret Alice Second
- Mercy, save me., Darian Kalamerd
- ಪ್ರಶ್ನೆ, Deepak Malapur
- A Cruel Hope, Praveen Nautiyal
- Our Vista, Hazel Durham
- UNWANTED, Pranab K. Chakraborty
- In my poems each word, gajanan mishra
- The silent Witness, Angell Afinowi
- Peaceful Faculty-5, Pranab K. Chakraborty
- Peaceful Faculty-4, Pranab K. Chakraborty