(brief renderings) Joe Fazio
Ballards Of The Dead ...
And from the graves, where names were carved in
stone, came the mournful Ballards, of life gone by.
A Ballard sang by mothers, whose children left behind,
and left to sing their ballads, of tears that did remain.
And what of Fathers Ballard, whose job was not complete,
who died and sang his song, of things that could not be.
In a smaller voices, still weeping and confused,
the children sang their Ballard, of parents never knew.
And in some far off place, a Ballard did come fourth,
of all the deaths that happened, that wasn't meant to be.
A soldiers painful Ballard, did seem so unjust, of the
war that finally killed him, in a land he never knew.
The Ballard, of unknown, thou human, none the less,
were buried here alone, with not a one to care.
In the quiet of a cemetery morn, the Ballard of
the dead, echoes silently across green grass,
and through the granite stones.
It makes one wonder, about the Ballard of the dead,
and what will be our song...when we are finally gone.
© Joe Fazio
(brief renderings) Joe Fazio's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Ballards Of The Dead ... by (brief renderings) Joe Fazio )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Durgapuri Babu
(19 January 1919 - 10 May 2002)
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- To Whom It May Concern, Dorothy (Alves) Holmes
- Unsuitable, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- People of Pernambuco 2, Kim Barney
- Strange Foods: Oatmeal Omelet, Kim Barney
- Not a Real Poem 2, Kim Barney
- A Christmas with Simplicity, Akhtar Jawad
- Mangos and Monkeys, Kim Barney
- Mack, Kim Barney
- Who Told You That?, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Two Friends, Kim Barney