In the beginning there was you.
You were the sun and the moon.
Windswept beaches and ancient mountains.
All that mattered and all encompassing.
You were everything.
But that was long ago.
Before school days and dances.
Before friends and lovers.
Graduation and apartments.
Self realization and actuation.
Midterms and forty hour work weeks.
The constellations took the form of my kindred.
Time grew ever shorter and my work week ever longer.
I shielded myself from your sun,
Ran from your incoming storm.
A torrent of tears by a phone that rings too seldom.
I prayed for the stars to dance all night during the blue moon.
And awoke missing the smell of salt water,
The silence of a mountain camp,
And the warmth of the sun.
Gabrielle Shutt's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Chapter 1 by Gabrielle Shutt )
- Can I?, Patty van Delft
- A Raven's Musings, Patty van Delft
- Broken images of our life صور حياتنا الم.., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Whisperings, Patty van Delft
- That Second Hand Music, Richard Provencher
- Seven That Second Hand Music (c) 2014, Richard Provencher
- keep slate clean, hasmukh amathalal
- The Holy Cross of Jesus Christ, Dr John Celes
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.31, Monk E. Biz
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.30, Monk E. Biz
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Daffodil, Shaun Shane
- 06 Perpetual Optimism, Shaun Shane
- 05 love is like you hold your breath and.., Shaun Shane
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Heather Burns
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Udiah (witness to Yah)