I had my quiet time early in the morning
Eating Almond Joys with Mother.
We'd sit on the back porch and talk to God.
We really had a good time.
I'd sort baseball cards
Or look for bottles.
In the afternoon I'd shoot blackbirds.
Jimmy would go by the house for ice water
And make the truck backfire.
Oh, I really liked that.
That was the reason he did it.
In the evening the cottontails ran across the groves.
I shot one and put him in the backseat.
He went to the bathroom.
Jimmy said I knocked the shit out of him.
At night we would listen to the ballgame.
Then to the Hoss Man.
Jimmy liked "Take Out Some Insurance On Me Baby"
by Jimmy Reed.
Frank Stanford's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Living by Frank Stanford )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(January 30, 1935 – September 14, 1984)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Best Friend (In Hindi), Tavneet Singh
Poem of the Day
- Your Voice, Gina Borrebach
- Therapy in America at Christmas in 2014, Bill Grace
- Lost, Paul Sebastian
- Farewell 2014, Paul Sebastian
- The Right Religion, Kevin Forbes
- Miles away, hannah wilbert
- (8) जिख्लाबसे लाइजाम: 'रैसुमै'नो, Ronjoy Brahma
- A life unexamined, Robert Plese
- Dying, Dipankar Chakraborty
- Quotation # 5, saint cynosure ( Ken Bennigh ..