Man Out of Sea
I built a man out of the sea today.
Clay waves, hurricane flotsam and jellies
Sopping into these palms’ quiet caverns—
I held seaweed and basalted sponges,
Pellucid crustaceans, their brisk bones
Bound by my tiring hands, then sculpted him.
I borrowed undulating crepes that arch
The plunging sea’s wide diminished breast
And fettled light the sternum, moldering
Oysters off the ocean’s bottomless muck
Until the chest developed through to limbs.
Concatenating a spine from dozens
Of drying seawreck planks, the whole took shape
And so I hollowed sockets, bestowed gold
Searing from the sun’s enameled margins,
Horizons of no shore—this, for his eyes!
From lichen clouds I whittled complexion,
Soon my sea-creation refined, complete.
Slicing the salty dune-crust reeds, edging them
Forearm through finger, pungent coral caked,
I combed a gaze meanwhile from crystal sands;
Gathered lightning echoes, crabs’ wires.
I stored diggers’ feet and other string bits
Of the sea then tied these straws: a shawl of hair…
The day breaks off. A beak’s shadow scours
The surf. Mammoth gulls crookedly careen.
My sea-man stands stoic as the rich-silk sea,
Moonglow, ink of veins; no gaps remain.
What scuffed vox winds I’d caught are lost,
With uncompromising choice I refused
To give my man of sea a voice. He cannot
Move—yet think of all the chaos up from where
I sledged him! Now: mine, ordered,
Tangled with pier-net skins, barnacled rust.
And so I built a man out of the sea today.
How useless he is. Inhuman. Yes, beautiful.
Adam Fitzgerald's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Man Out of Sea by Adam Fitzgerald )
- Clean India Campaign, Dr John Celes
- Holy Journey, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- MISSION, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- Life's Numbers, Randy McClave
- Imagining Love, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Hunted, Mae AC.
- 13 April 2014, Shri R Brahma
- 7 Aprl 2014, Shri R Brahma
- 25 March 2014, Shri R Brahma
- Walking the Dog, Kaila George
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)