When I die I promise to haunt
all my surviving enemies,
may they be few if any at that point,
because I hope to outlive them all.
But if any of them are left
I'll keep them awake at night with weird noises.
I'll whisper words in their ears while they sleep
to encourage feelings of low self-esteem when they awake.
Actually, I'll never let them sleep.
I'll kick them out of bed
just as they're falling
into deep slumber.
Or maybe I'll just let them be.
Enemies are such a responsibility,
and eat up so much time.
Perhaps I'll just travel,
which I didn't really enjoy
much while alive. I'll travel,
eat fish, listen to rap music
and bluegrass, read a lot
of trade association magazines,
have numerous root canals,
and settle down somewhere in Ohio.
[from The Drift of Things, The Figures Press, 2001]
Terence Winch's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Mission Statement by Terence Winch )
- Brush Spit Rinse Repeat, Foster Teegarden
- I Am going now, Nehemiah Theophylus Haokip
- Goals, douglas scotney
- The Amateur Poet Drives to his First Poe.., Daniel Brick
- Away, Foster Teegarden
- the day i'll go, akash mazumdar
- i am sad: -(, akash mazumdar
- Fickle, Foster Teegarden
- Salted tears is just the seasoning, Mark Heathcote
- वाह रे नौजवान, Aftab Alam
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Farewell, Anne Brontë
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
Percy Bysshe Shelley