L C Vieira
Sixteen guards, feared Roman men could not hold Him in death,
(yet their demise they did not meet, though should have when they failed) .
Nor could a stone two tons in weight press back the power there,
or 'hundred pounds of spice ensconce the body in its cast.
Three days later and men would say they saw Him live again,
yet they did find the price to pay was suffering and death.
The Romans tried to crush God's way, but could not find the Proof.
Eleven scared and hiding men would wax to millions 'round.
The tomb lies empty, the Truth to share: Jesus Christ is Lord,
Spirit in flesh whose chosen death has saved a fallen world.
Pure Sacrifice! Oh Cleansing Blood! No veil would hide Him now.
Saints, those sinners are through the gate, the Free to face His throne.
But where is He when many mock and others mourn in pain?
Such crime and death, lost hope and trust; men die with hearts of fear.
Yet see He lives in poverty, His food to give the poor.
He clothes the wounded naked in nations everywhere.
Yes, find Him here among the troubled, stirring hands to hold
the shaking child, the dying soul, His Life in Love to share.
Yes, I know! The tomb is empty! He's gone to reign on high
to share His Holy Glory heart with broken ones like mine!
(1981, revised 2013,2014)
L C Vieira's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Omnipotence by L C Vieira )
Sheldon Allan Silverstein
(September 25, 1930 – May 10, 1999)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(22 March 1941 -)
Michael P. McParland
(July 19 1983)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Your Laughter, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- Word, Birgitta Heikka
- Ganjaraja And His Associates/Ganjaraja W.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Royal Presidio Chapel, Monterey California, Steven Federle
- the apple of my I, Prophmatt . . .
- And Then There Was Love, Sandra Feldman
- Sigh, Erwick Brandon
- Marwari Businessman Father-in-law Want I.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Happiness is not preventive., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Fatal Attraction, Sandra Feldman
- Be a finger of the hand., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.