PH: Life: Being Exceptional
Too much beauty is a problem
So the pretty women say,
Many women can be threatened,
Mood swings like a pendulum
Never trusting in ‘fair play.'
So it hurts when they dismiss you
Best to not give you a chance,
You might try to steal their boyfriends,
Smugly now your faults imbue
Though you've stolen not one dance.
Competition can be fierce then,
Few believe these days in fate,
Their self-confidence can vanish,
No faith too in gentle men,
If the guy once shows up late.
Come on lassies, what's your hurry,
Shouldn't love be ‘laissez-faire? '
Ditching friends for men so slimy,
Dressed up in your finery?
Is your love so ‘ordinaire? '
Being smart too is a problem,
Life itself not hard enough,
Toughs that ambush after schools out,
There's a gift in being dumb!
You think calculus is rough?
All young people want to fit in,
Live with hearts out on their sleeve,
Smart kids really do no better,
Though you'd think that they might win,
Teenage angst yields no reprieve.
Still my brain saved me from football,
Grinding work for adult thrills,
Qualified for cannon fodder,
Young boys think they have it all,
Girls and glory, mindless drills.
But the youth who show brain merit,
Though rewards are slow to come,
Find they bypass many hazards,
Foolish plans elaborate:
Author's now of their outcome.
Having bread is a conundrum,
Still ‘death, ' you win on a bet,
Jealousy makes you a pit bull,
Lost decorum stained your bum,
Reputation? Just forget!
Dreams of poor men are a half-truth,
Fueled by their desires unmet,
Riches, splendor all they think of,
‘Clark Kents' enters glass phone booth,
Men inside still curse kismet.
People! Rich! That live in prisons,
That's what our world has come to,
Iron fences blocking access,
Wealthy hold they're denizens,
Why do they seem like they're blue?
How did our world fall to misfits,
I'm a have, but you have not,
All one needs is just one bullet,
Don't you think this is the pits?
Murderer lives on your lot.
Brian Johnston's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (PH: Life: Being Exceptional by Brian Johnston )
Did you read them?
- I felt my heart going boom, boom, boom, Erato
- The Good Thieves, Peter Jay Shippy
- Villanelle, Peter Jay Shippy
- First comes a riddle, Ahmed Tawfik
- My Father was a Farmer: A Ballad, Robert Burns
- It's Hard to Imagine That Nothing At All.., Peter Jay Shippy
- How cruel are the parents, Robert Burns
- Things change, Ahmed Tawfik
- Lines to an Old Sweetheart, Robert Burns
- To Miss Ferrier, enclosing Elegy on Sir .., Robert Burns
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Home And Love, Robert William Service
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns