We found ourselves on a vessel. Unless
some inner-ear ailment skewed our balance
(to equal extent, all five of us leant)
the sea itself lay aslant. A canted
planet perhaps? The sea was dynamic
in a bouncy way. Autonomous waves
moved in inscrutable ways. Some loitered.
The sea's skin was opalescent, opaque
and wobbly; more ‘set' than ‘wet'. "Colloidal, "
said Troy, toying with his kumbaloi. "I
guess a multitude of moons must conduct
the tidal flux." Several contrary
breezes fluttered with a buttery touch.
Oozy clouds sagged like warm Camembert and
Myra said, "Reminds me of the prairie
dogs, the waves I mean, I think they're tracks. Life;
things tunnelling, finding food and smooching."
The sea smouldered with a marcasite light.
I dipped my toe in (to the dispute not
the sea) . "Subsonic thunder or music? "
The theory earned me a dismissive glance
but I fancied that their ears were straining.
Why else would a cohesive surface dance
if not inaudibly resonating?
It rained. Our skins wore an oily raiment.
A wind juddered. We all shuddered. "Alive, "
said Clive. "Fools, can't you see we've been swallowed.
We're sailing in a stomach full of bile.
We must row, row, row back up the dog's throat."
Clive was always a bit of a sod, so
we ignored him and sulked. Then Cuthbert said,
"I've got a great idea for a prank." He
climbed (up) . "Come down, " we cried, "you'll break your neck."
Out on a yard he demo'd his ‘planking'.
We cheered; took his picture; ‘twas top-ranking!
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Stance by Diane Hine )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Harivansh Rai Bachchan
(27 November 1907 – 18 January 2003)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Three Kings, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Merry Christmas My Love, Michael P. McParland
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- bharat ki gareebi, AVINASH PANDEY KHUSH
- Real hell, Amitie Abedi
- I'll Never Leave You, Michael P. McParland
- NeverEnding Story Tanka, Chenou Liu
- A stranger, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- I'll Never, Michael P. McParland
- I'll Always Work Hard, Michael P. McParland
- To Mr. Blanchard, the Celebrated Aeronau.., Philip Freneau
- Sherman, Kim Barney
- If I Could, Michael P. McParland