Clarence Michael James Stanislaus Dennis
Clarence Michael James Stanislaus Dennis Poems
- An Echo From Africa Da ruction happen by Nicko's place Las' ...
- Growing Up
- The Ant Explorer Once a little sugar ant made up his mind to ...
- The Circus Hey, there! Hoop-la! the circus is in town! Have...
- Hist! Hist! . . . . . . Hark! The night is very dark, And ...
- A Dogs' View I'm only just a common racing dog, Simple in ...
- Distrust Appearances He came into the bird-shop where I stood...
Clarence Michael James Stanislaus Dennis, better known as C. J. Dennis, was an Australian poet known for his humorous poems, especially "The Songs of a Sentimental Bloke", published in the early 20th century. Though Dennis's work is less well known today, his 1916 publication of The Sentimental Bloke sold 65,000 copies in its first year, and by 1917 he was the most prosperous poet in Australian history.
Together with Banjo Paterson and Henry Lawson, both of whom he collaborated with, he is often considered among Australia's three most famous poets.
When he died at the age of 61, the Prime Minister of Australia Joseph Lyons suggested he was destined to be ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
An Echo From Africa
Da ruction happen by Nicko's place
Las' week, in da deada da night.
Da copper he very near cop da case
Accounta da fish-shop fight
In da great beeg international way
Dat wrecka da oyster bar.
Now Nicko he grinda da tooth an' say,
'Da white-a man rule, by gar!'
Sammo, da slush, wit' da dark-tan face,
Scale an' clean-a fish
Long time he toila by Nicko's place,
Washa da dirty dish.
But Nicko he say, 'Da t'ings get slow;
Dis war make da beezness slack.
Dat Sammo, da slush, he have to go.'
So Nicko he sacka da black.
Las-a night, when Sammo ...