Clarence Michael James Stanislaus Dennis
Clarence Michael James Stanislaus Dennis Poems
- Hist! Hist! . . . . . . Hark! The night is very dark, And ...
- Growing Up
- The Circus Hey, there! Hoop-la! the circus is in town! Have...
- Going To School Did you see them pass to-day, Billy, Kate and...
- The Ant Explorer Once a little sugar ant made up his mind to ...
- The Band Hey, there! Listen awhile! Listen awhile, and ...
- Old Farmer Jack Old farmer Jack gazed on his wheat, And ...
Clarence Michael James Stanislaus Dennis, better known as C. J. Dennis, was an Australian poet known for his humorous poems, especially "The Songs of a Sentimental Bloke", published in the early 20th century. Though Dennis's work is less well known today, his 1916 publication of The Sentimental Bloke sold 65,000 copies in its first year, and by 1917 he was the most prosperous poet in Australian history.
Together with Banjo Paterson and Henry Lawson, both of whom he collaborated with, he is often considered among Australia's three most famous poets.
When he died at the age of 61, the Prime Minister of Australia Joseph Lyons suggested he was destined to be ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Hist! . . . . . . Hark!
The night is very dark,
And we've to go a mile or so
Across the Possum Park.
Step . . . . . . light,
Keeping to the right;
If we delay, and lose our way,
We'll be out half the night.
The clouds are low and gloomy. Oh!
It's just begun to mist!
We haven't any overcoats
And - Hist! . . . . . . Hist!
(Mo . . . . . . poke!)
Who was that that spoke?
This is not a fitting spot
To make a silly joke.
Dear . . . . . . me!
A mopoke in a tree!
It jarred me so, I didn't know
Whatever it could be.
But come along;...