Gregorio de Matos Guerra (23 December 1636 - 26 November 1696 / Bahia)
Gregório de Mattos e Guerra (April 7, 1636 – November 26, 1696) was the most famous Brazilian Baroque poet. Although he wrote many lyrical and religious poems, he was more well-known by his satirical ones, winning because of them the nickname "Boca do Inferno" (in English: Hell's Mouth).
He is patron of the 16th chair of the Brazilian Academy of Letters.
Gregório de Mattos e Guerra was born in Bahia, to Gregório de Mattos (a Portuguese nobleman) and Maria da Guerra (a matron). He studied at the Jesuit College and travelled to Lisbon in 1652, entering the University of Coimbra, where he completed his Law degree in 1661. There he became friends with poet Tomás Pinto ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
- A Cidade da Bahia
- A inconstancia dos bens do mundo
- A Nossa Senhora da Madre de Deus Indo Lá...
- A Nosso Senhor Jesus Christo Com Actos d...
- A. S. Francisco Tomando o Poeta o Habito...
- Anjo Beto
- Anjo nome, Angélica
- Ao Braço do Mesmo Menino Jesus Quando Ap...
- Ao Mesmo Assumpto e na Mesma Occasião
- Ao Sanctissimo Sacramento Estando para C...
- Aos capitulares do seu tempo
- Buscando a Cristo
- Contemplando nas coisas do mundo desde o...