Gregorio de Matos Guerra
Gregório de Mattos e Guerra (April 7, 1636 – November 26, 1696) was the most famous Brazilian Baroque poet. Although he wrote many lyrical and religious poems, he was more well-known by his satirical ones, winning because of them the nickname "Boca do Inferno" (in English: Hell's Mouth).
He is patron of the 16th chair of the Brazilian Academy of Letters.
Gregório de Mattos e Guerra was born in Bahia, to Gregório de Mattos (a Portuguese nobleman) and Maria da Guerra (a matron). He studied at the Jesuit College and travelled to Lisbon in 1652, entering the University of Coimbra, where he completed his Law degree in 1661. There he became friends with poet Tomás ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
- Ao Sanctissimo Sacramento Estando para C...
- Ao Mesmo Assumpto e na Mesma Occasião
- E Pois Cronista Sou
- Ao Braço do Mesmo Menino Jesus Quando Ap...
- Soneto VI - Nasce o Sol, e não dura mais...
- A inconstancia dos bens do mundo
- Descrição da Cidade de Sergipe D'el-Rei
- Soneto I - Um soneto começo em vosso gab...
- Soneto VI - A cada canto um grande conse...
- Contemplando nas coisas do mundo desde o...
- Buscando a Cristo
- Aos capitulares do seu tempo
- A Nosso Senhor Jesus Christo Com Actos d...
- Descreve a cidade da Bahia
Comments about Gregorio de Matos Guerra
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)