Henry Howard, Earl of Surrey KG was an English aristocrat, and one of the founders of English Renaissance poetry.
He was the eldest son of Thomas Howard, 3rd Duke of Norfolk, and his second wife, the former Lady Elizabeth Stafford (daughter of Edward Stafford, 3rd Duke of Buckingham), so he was descended from kings on both sides of his family tree. He was reared at Windsor with Henry VIII's illegitimate son Henry FitzRoy, 1st Duke of Richmond and Somerset, and they became close friends and, later, brothers-in-law. He became Earl of Surrey in 1524 when his grandfather died and his father became Duke of Norfolk.
In 1532 he accompanied his first ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
- Love that Doth Reign and Live
- Alas! So All Things Now Do Hold Their Pe...
- London, Hast Thou Accursed Me
- A Praise of His Love
- Lady Surrey's Lament for Her Absent Lord
- So Cruel Prison
- A Satire against the citizens of London
- From Tuscan Came My Lady's Worthy Race
- The Things that Cause a Quiet Life
- The Ages of Man
- The Soote Season
- The Frailty and Hurtfulness of Beauty
- Brittle Beauty
- Set Me Whereas the Sun Doth Parch the Gr...
Comments about Henry Howard
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)