Henry Livingston Jr. (1748-1828)
Henry Livingston, Jr. (October 13, 1748 - February 29, 1828) has been proposed as being the uncredited author of the poem "A Visit from St. Nicholas", more popularly known (after its first line) as "The Night Before Christmas." The poem has always been attributed to Clement Clarke Moore, and the Livingston claim is hotly disputed.
He was born on October 13, 1748 in Poughkeepsie, New York, to Henry Livingston, Sr. and Susannah Conklin.
In 1774, Livingston married Sarah Welles, the daughter of Reverend Noah Welles, the minister of the Stamford, Connecticut Congregational Church. Their daughter Catherine was born shortly before Livingston joined the army on a six months' ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
- 1819 New Year's Carrier's Address
- A Tenant of Mrs. Van Kleeck
- Account of a Visit From ST. Nicholas
- Acrostic -- Eliza Hughes
- An Elegy on the Death of Montgomery Tapp...
- Careless Philosopher's Soliloquy
- Catharine Breese Livingston
- Catharine Livingston
- Epithalamium: A Marriage Poem
- Hiding Place
- Letter Sent to Master Timmy Dwight