By age 14, I had already begun spontaneously immersing myself in the crafting of satirical short stories & Ogden Nash-style verses, the publication of an 'underground' school newspaper, & the creation of handmade, illustrated books.
I began then, & have continued for most of my life, to self-educate myself in subjects I found far more attractive than those I usually encountered in the classroom. Early readings in authors like Poe, Twain, Bradbury, Conan Doyle, Saki, e e cummings, Lear, Carroll & John Lennon were a source of wonder & admiration.
Later on, Joyce, Hesse, Dickinson, Whitman, Shakespeare's comedies, Rimbaud & Baudelaire, Borges, Blake, Mencken & Robert ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
- Hot Weather, A Zen Poem
- On Looking Into Keats's Letters
- This Page Is Captured By A Mind's Bright...
- War Is Jealous of the Bridegrooms
- Silence of the Books
- Hiding Place
- Robert Hooke, In A Spider's Eye
- GREEN, A Litany
- Marilyn the Unprofessional/Poor Natalie'...
- Beginning Ovid's Metamorphoses
- Embodied, Like You, I'm A Traveling Ghos...
- Who Killed the Printed Book? A song to t...
- Someone From Adam
Comments about Jay Mandeville
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)